windows xp gives me press F1 to retry....HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeb

Solid State Member
Hello, i have windows xp pro on a dell 8100. everthing has worked great for about 3 months. i recently started to get a error message on startup on xp that said " insuffcient memory to run windows 16 bit program". i dont know what it meant but i had to close it before i could use windows. then i did a disk cleanup last night and my computer locked up so hit the power reset button and NOW i have a real problem. when it rebooted it said "strike F1 to retry reboot, F2 for setup utility" . now nothing works. Iam not great with computers can do the basics, is this a problem i can fix?. i shope so all ,my pictures and music are on this machine. Any help is greatly appreciated

no i cant, all i can do is hit F2 to go to setup or hit F1 to reboot, it does not reboot but beeps and repeats itself. to actually reboot i have to ctrl+alt+del

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

ok i did the steps as outlined and it said disk could not be found, i then pressed the up and down keys and it took me to a blue screen saying " a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to my computer etc..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom