How to block file-deleting file in window xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopyAU

Baseband Member
i have a file that's really important for me, and properly other people can use my computer and accidentally delete it , so how can i block the other people from deleting my file

get WINRAR (free trial) and put the file in an RAR folder, and then put a password on it.

OR...

E-mail the file to yourself as an attachment.
Make sure you put the file in a ZIP Folder before emailing:
sendtozip.jpg

1) You could create a limited account for each person or have them use Guest account. They will only have read permission and won't be able to modify or delete your files, especially if the file is in an administrator account.

2) Backup the files

3) Make it hidden and read only

These would work on XP Home, but with XP Pro you have more feature to control what user do to your shares, like configure who can access the folder and file.

I don't know if putting a password with winrar will help it from getting deleted though, but I have never tried so I would like to know if it works.

if you make the administrator account password protected, it will also ask to keep the files hidden from other users, whether they are administrators or limited users.

yeah thanks guys , but problem is, that file is put into the common hard drive for the public, i mean all people can read the file so if i hide the file , other people can't see it , but if i make it read only , it still can be deleted,
i've tried to convert the file to winrar type but i don't know how to set the password on it ,
can you guys plz help me

What about windows built in EFS? Would this not be suffecient enough for your needs? We can also lock this down by making you the only person on the ACL. What version is this XP PRO or home?

i'm using XP pro
i'm kind of a person not really good at computer, so can you guys please tell me just some simple stuff, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom