Windows Or Macintosh Or Linux??

Status
Not open for further replies.

little_emmynem

In Runtime
Which OS to use ....??? i have recently buyed a COMPAQ Presario WideScreen series laptop/......yet its completely blank coz i havent installled any OS on it.....

plz help me which to use........i want the PC to be used at home and at hospital too.....(at Hospital dad wants)

Well since it is a compaq you only have 2 choices that are available. Windows or Linux. Apple/Mac wont work to what you want. Macs have a propritetiary hardware that they use for thier machines. Trying to install OS X on your system will come up with errors for your sound, ethernet and most likely video.

So you only have to decide between Linux and Windows. That is all personal choice. I prefer XP but i am looking at some Linux distro's myself to try out.

little_emmynem said:
Which OS to use ....??? i have recently buyed a COMPAQ Presario WideScreen series laptop/......yet its completely blank coz i havent installled any OS on it.....

plz help me which to use........i want the PC to be used at home and at hospital too.....(at Hospital dad wants)

1. Which OS do you most know how to use?
2. Which OS do you most like to use?
3. Which OS do you have more applications for?
4. What are you going to do with the computer?

We can't tell you what OS to use. All we can do is give opinions, which amount to very little. Especially in a question like this.

If you can answer the above questions, and maybe give us some more info on what YOU want, we can help you make a decision. Otherwise this is just a powderkeg for an OS-flamewar.

i would recommend XP because the laptop probably has stickers on it RECOMMENDING windows XP, hence the laptop will run best with XP.

I would think it would depend on what applications you need to use on it and what OS supports those apps.

talldude123 said:
i would recommend XP because the laptop probably has stickers on it RECOMMENDING windows XP, hence the laptop will run best with XP.

thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard ... the stickers are on there because microsoft cuts them a deal if they put those stickers on there. it really means nothing, other than "i bought this laptop and it came with an OEM license for windows XP"

Now if you are only going to use this laptop for just the basic function like browsing the web, checking the email and you don't want to worry about securities and viruses. I would suggest using Linux like Fedora Core 4 (I believe is the latest version). There is also a commercial Linux that is supposely suppose to be easy to use and it's call Lindow or something like that. Now be warn, with Linux many hardware drivers aren't supported even though most distributor are stepping up the notch and helping out with generic drivers. They are much harder to configured. It's not made for newbies. I have used FC4 for the past few months and I have grown bored of it already, kind of switching back between it and Windows. I guess I just like using Windows more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom