fobster

Beta member
Hello

I currently have a dell dimension 4600 and the specs are:

Pentium 4 3.06ghz
512mb ram
geforce fx 5200
with a 250w power supply.

I'm going to be upping my ram to 1gig or maybe more. And I want to know what decent graphics card could I get without having to replace my power supply? Is it at all possible? I've heard that dell psus are difficult to change, is that true?

I asked on another forum and was told that dell psus are somewhat underrated and that I should be able to handle an upgrade of my video card, I was told it should be able to take a radeon x700 or maybe a x800 or x850 and possibly a geforce 6800.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think it could be fine. I'm running a ton of crap on my PC and I only have a 350 watter I pulled out of an old Emachines. The only thing that sucks about this thing is because the lack of power start up takes a while but I don't mind.

I'm not really too sure honestly. I don't really think the 512 would draw that much more power. Hopefully someone who knows more about the matter will respond though, I'm not really a pro on power usage. However if you're going to drop the money to get a new vid card, you might aswell get a better power supply to handle everything if that one ends up crapping out, which it shouldn't.

you will most definetly have to get a new psu. on my old pc i had 512Mb ram and an ATi X700 card running on a 250W psu. this was not a good combo, if i overclocked the card just slightly my pc would turn off. this isnt half as good as the X1600. upgrade to 425W or above.

if your gonna get a new psu better get it from dell , dell uses proprietary parts in most cases, not only the psu have special form factor (a non dell psu wont fit in the case) it also have a special atx pin layout http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=339053&rl=1 and naturally the mobo is compatible with that atx layout so if youll get a new non-dell psu it will fry the mobo and possibly other parts aswell

Static_11 said:
lmao... nice

i dont know why everyone was suggesting 256 or even 512 mb vid cards on a 250 watt psu.. O_O

i wouldnt recommend running any video card on a 250W power supply. Onboard video only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom