What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say encoding and playing games do you mean you should have your games on one hard drive and everything else on the other one? Would you reccomend dual core or not I really don't want to spend that much but if it will be necessary soon I might as well get it right?

i would reccomend dual core. they do outperform their corresponding single cores and multi-task brilliantly even if you don't get the hang of assigning the processors. you don't need 2 hdd's but what the hel|_ (curse filter :() the more the merrier. i have 3 hdd's. basically its a matter of looking at it and arranging your things in an order which results in the least interference between things that will use a lot. so in my case video encoding requires a fair bit of hdd time because it has to read the original video and write the encoded video, i normally have the original videos stored on my first hdd and encode them onto the 3rd hdd. my second hdd (the raptor :)) is where all my games and high demand apps are stored

But how long do you think it will be before single core can not even be used anymore?

And how much do you think I could sell this for and where should I sell it.
Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 1.25 GB of Ram, sound blaster 24bit live sound card, GeForce FX 5500 Graphics Card 256MB PCI, one 40GB hard drive and one 80GB hard drive, the motherboard does not have PCI E slots or APG slots, it has 3 PCI slots, onboard sound and video, it has one cd-rom drive don't know speed and it has one dvd-rw with light scribe tech, and one floppy drive, it is in a custom case that only has one very little scratch on it the case tells temp. of CPU, VGA, HDD in both degrees and it tells the time.

Brtnboarder495 said:
If your on a budget that's okay, but the Sempron is crippled by the FSB and L2 cache.

Whoaaa what are you talking about if you are talking about the stuff I wrote above that is what I have and was wanting how much I could sell it for.

it is a budget processor from AMD. it is basically a stripped down Athlon. they still perform brilliantly especially for their price, but not quite as high as an Athlon. unfortunately they can only be purchased as s754. there are s939 semprons but AMD won't sell them retail for some reason and they only show up in pre-built computers

no one has still answered my questin when do you think that single core will be used no more and the only thing left is dual core.

And what is difference in like HT and dual core?? And what is this HyperTransport Technology?

i don't think single core will ever truly be phased out. it should always remain compatable with newer software but of course it will not take advantage of SMP support (Symmetric Multi-Processing). SMP basically means software can take advantage of having more than one processor. HT: HyperThreading was a cheap attempt although an effective one at making a better multi-tasking processor. it mimicks parts of the processor so that the computer detects 2 "logical processors". its kind of like how a partitioned hard drive shows up as several hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom