What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtboyz

Solid State Member
What do you guys think of this deal? I will use it for games only. If you guys could explain 64bit to me and how much better it is a stuff I would be thankfull. EX: 2.0 Ghz. 32bit 2.0 Ghz. 64 bit can you tell me how much better the 64 one is. And if I should get a dual core one. If so how long do you think single core will not even work with games? Thank you very much.

Here is the deal

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1901301&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

If you want a gaming machine that you wont need to upgrade for a while then go for 64bit dual core cpu's. games that are coming out in the near future will be taking advantage of dual core. games such as unreal tournament 2007 im sure use dual core. if you are on a tight budget then still go for 64bit skt 939 cpu. anything of a lower spec wont be very useful in a years time. hope this helped you.

I have a other question would a dual core 1.0Ghz for ex. equal a 2.0Ghz regular core or does it work like that.

not nesacerily. you have to look into that. what budget you got? if you can go for AMD 3500 at bare minimum.

Mentali$T said:
not nesacerily. you have to look into that. what budget you got? if you can go for AMD 3500 at bare minimum.

I really wasn't wanting to spend that much for a processor but have to wait and see what I can get out of the computer I have now. Where would be a good place to sell it? Ebay:confused:

when you see say an AMD Athlon x2 3800+, that is a 2.0ghz processor. it has 2 cores running at 2.0ghz and yes those cores are each identical to it clock speed equivelant single core, in this case the 3200+. that means you would have 2x3200+'s on your processor. they do not normally give you quite double performance but it is close if you know what you are doing. the advantage of 64bit is that it can work with larger amounts of data more easily.

nitestick said:
when you see say an AMD Athlon x2 3800+, that is a 2.0ghz processor. it has 2 cores running at 2.0ghz and yes those cores are each identical to it clock speed equivelant single core, in this case the 3200+. that means you would have 2x3200+'s on your processor. they do not normally give you quite double performance but it is close if you know what you are doing. the advantage of 64bit is that it can work with larger amounts of data more easily.

What do you mean if you know what you are doing. Do you mean overclocking by this. If you get a 64bit you have to get a special version of xp don't you? Just wanting to learn about this stuff. Thanks.

no you don't need 64 bit windows. 64 bit windows is pretty useless anyway. i tried it for about 2 days and ditched it because it annoyed me so much. 64 bit cpus can still run 32 bit applications e.g. windows. just like when 32 bit processors were invented they could still run 16 bit apps. when i said "if you know how to use it" i meant it takes a little bit of effort to get the most out of it. by default all programs try to run on both cpus which doesn't really work so well. with practice (THG Task Assignment Manager helps as well, see toms hardware guide) you can set what programs you want to run on each processor and it will give you better overall performance. i use my rig to encode and play games at the same time. if you have 2 hard drives you won't even notice you are encoding if you have the game on 1 hdd and the encoding on the other, but with the same hdd there may be a little lag because of loading the game, video to encode and saving the encoded video at the same time.

no you can run regular 32bit windows xp on a 64 bit processor. there is also a 64bit windows xp pro just for 64bit processors that you can get, however, that has many unsupported drivers, so for the everyday user, its better to just get regular 32 bit windows.

when he said if you know what you're doing, i don't think he meant overclocking. i think there are strategies to getting the most out of your dual core.. i think you can set a few things for one core, and the main thing that you're doing on a seperate core. i don't have dual core so i don't really know.. but i think somethin glike that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom