Windows Defender beta 2 Updater

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Arbib

In Runtime
I am having a major problem updating the signatures of Beta 2

1. Using the Windows update page, it requests an update and having done so, it says "successful" but it is not and Defender remains 57 days without updating.

2. If I check for update on the Defender page, it reports that Defender is "up-to-date" but it still says it has not been updated for 57 days and remains stubbornly at signature 1.0.0.0

3. I have uninstalled and re-installed to no avail

4. I note from Microsoft forums that I am not the only person to suffer this problem, but hopefully one of you is expert enough to guide me to a solution

System is XPpro\SP2 fully updated

Well if others have experienced this all i can think of is 2 things.

1. problem with their signature updates. or
2. using a cracked copy.

So if you version is legit then it has to be a issue with their signature updates. I noticed that myself before that it wouldnt update thru Defender but only thru Windows Update.

Thank you for your comment - sadly, not terribly helpful

Anyway, I think I solved the problem

1. Uninstalled Defender, rebooted and reinstalled
2. This reverts Defender to signature 1.0.0.0
3. Ran Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}
4. From tab to right of question mark, updated Defender
5. Update confirmed.

Microsoft have commented to me that they are aware of updating difficulties but remind me it is in beta form only.

Microsoft on Thursday released an updated version of Windows Defender Beta 2 , the company's anti-spyware and malware application that will be integrated into Windows Vista. The release fixes bugs in signature updating, polishes the user interface and improves the software's SpyNet reporting capabilities.

Responding to feedback from users, Windows Defender can now remain active in the system tray at all times. The SpyNet feature enables users to send reports back to Microsoft and help the company keep ahead of malware authors. "With these upcoming changes to our reporting network and our core technology, we will improve our detection and removal capabilities even more in the upcoming months," said Microsoft's Anti-Malware Engineering Team.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Microsoft_Windows_Defender/1105022593/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom