first computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I know the steps on building a computer, but I need to know the steps after building the computer. Like what do I do first when I push the power button....do I install windows first? When do install all the drivers. I just need a step by step guide on what to do after you build the computer to get it up and running properly.

install windows then worry about everything else, first though go into CMOS and check all the settings (you'll need to go inthere anyway to boot from windows CD).

I always do

1. Install Windows
2. Install network drivers
3. Update Windows
4. Install & update virus software
5. finish installing rest of drivers
6. Install software (games, applications, utilities, etc. etc.)

what u need to do is put the cd that came with the motherboard and boot off it to start with and then check the coms after u get all that and it is correct. now is the time to install windows a fresh copy and do a format not a quick. that way u know it is brand new just like the computer.. once u have windows loaded u need to load a virus protection due to some of the windows update screen contain virus's that no one knows about...

then install all the updates and driver updates from that because some drivers require internext explorer 5.5 or better and a fresh windows does not provide it.

thanks
chrannam

integrated networking inc.
owner / IT guy

so let me see if i'm right.

after all the hardware is installed one is to insert the CD that came with them motherboard and it goes from there ?

after that the OS then Virus software then update windows then install any drivers then check again for Win updates.

thanks
gb

Umm what if I don't have virus software, and what would you recommend. Question about the cd with the mobo, do all mobos come with one? And will there be instructions on how to do the settings correct? I am planning to install on to a SATA HD, what about the SATA controller, what if the mobo I'm getting is SATA compatible?

"Just do it." I felt the same way you do my first time. It is ok u will figure it out as you go. Plus you have the added benefit of techist.com so I wouldn't worry too much. {POST SOME PICS AFTER YOU BUILD YOUR MACHINE}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom