Ghosting MS Office and other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tikidoll

Beta member
Hi there,

I am about to buy a new computer and the process of transferring all my data is terrifying to me.

When I upgraded my last HD, the computer tech ghosted it so everything seemed pretty much unchanged on the new HD. I didn't have Office on it then, so I am wondering if this will work properly using Norton Ghost 10.0.

I don't have the Office discs which is why I am looking at ghosting.

Can you ghost parts of the old HD or do you have to do the whole thing?

I am a pretty competent computer user, but by no means an expert. Can someone like me handle such a task?

Thanks
Simone

Yes with your new pc comes new hardware that the windows install on you old pc is not setup to handle, You can install the old harddrive in your new pc as a backup and get your files off it but you will need the office install disks to reinstall office and maybe many other apps you have, sorry..

Ghosting your machine, if it's win2k or XP shouldn't be that much of a problem. I do it all the time. The only problem you might run into is if office was installed to a different drive, or any program for that matter. You need to have a physical setup simular to your old machine. IE, C drive, not another letter...

When you boot up, you will have a bunch of new hardware found, and might need to reactivate (XP only). Best thing to do, is uninstall all your device drivers before ghosting, and then capture the machine, so that there are not old drivers trying to run on the new machine. Then update the drivers. You shouldn't have too many problems with this. It's not the best way, but it works.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice! After reading all this, I emailed my friend who gave me a copy last time and asked them to mail it. I got an email back saying she was wussing out about sending pirated software (because she's sending it from overseas). The next email was from another friend to whom I mentioned I was getting a new PC. Her husband's company just got bought by Microsoft and she said she can get me anything I want for ZIP!

So, I guess that solves that problem!

Thanks again for the advice. I'm still going to ghost other stuff, so thanks for the tip about the it needing to go to a drive of the same letter.

Simone

Tikidoll said:
Hi there,

I am about to buy a new computer and the process of transferring all my data is terrifying to me.

When I upgraded my last HD, the computer tech ghosted it so everything seemed pretty much unchanged on the new HD. I didn't have Office on it then, so I am wondering if this will work properly using Norton Ghost 10.0.

I don't have the Office discs which is why I am looking at ghosting.

Can you ghost parts of the old HD or do you have to do the whole thing?

I am a pretty competent computer user, but by no means an expert. Can someone like me handle such a task?

Thanks
Simone

WORDPAD AND GOOGLE IS ALL YOU NEED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom