Need Help Extracting Files From Hd Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bimmeracer

Solid State Member
i just bought a nexstar hd enclosure to extract some files off of my dell 5100 hd. when i load the hd onto another cpu, and attempt to go to mydocs, it keeps on say "access is denied". i was wondering if there is anyway around this because i have about 10GB off this i want to get off of the hd b4 i reload windows.

first of "cpu" means processor not a whole computer you mean "pc" , as for the access denied thats a permissions issue right click that folder and goto "security" tab and get it fixed easily.. if you dont see the "security" tab then in "my computer" in menu goto tools-->folder options-->view and uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click ok then go to the properties of that folder again and youll see it. , its very simple

Thanks for the help, but i am still having problems. i was able access the main folder, but now i cannot access "My Documents" it keeps on saying access denied. i tried right click > sharing n security with no luck. i have also tried "if you dont see the "security" tab then in "my computer" in menu goto tools-->folder options-->view and uncheck "use simple file sharing" but my computer does not a box to check that says "use simple file sharing". btw i am using a new vaio laptop with windows xp.

wow i cannot believe no one can figure this out on a forum like this. can anyone recommend a place that i can find the answer.

other ppl open new threads all the time incase you forgot also not every member that sees your post knows the answer+members here are from across the world (difrent timezones) , and i guess yours went to page2 cuz of that and no one noticed (its hard to keep track when theres new threads all the time) if you would have bump it few days back maybe you would have get an answer, why only after 5 days? :eek:

anyway back to the issue , you have xp home therfore you cant set permissions (only xp pro allows it,and you dont have that file sharing thing in folder options so you obviously got the home edition) so theres 3 possible things to do

edit i just rememberd, theres a software for managing file/folder permissions on xp home ,give it a shot
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/File-Security-Manager.shtml

1) reformat and install xp pro,then youll be able to set permissions and regain access to the data

2) take the ext to a friend that have xp pro set file permissions and burn the data to cd/dvd media or copy to usb flash memory

3) use a linux live cd (they tend to ignore ntfs permissions) knoppix /kanotix/slax (knoppix have builtin kernel ntfs write support but expirmental not sure how well it will work and kanotix have a util called captive for ntfs write support but i didnt had much luck with it, slax have a captive module you can add to the iso using an iso editor like ultraiso/magiciso) anyway use it to burn the data to cd/dvd media (if you have more then one optical drive that is) or copy it to a fat32 partition/usb flash/or try your luck with copying it to an ntfs partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom