what kind of 6800 vid card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a quick summary about your situation right now.

Problem 1- You want a spanking new video card, 1st problem is that AGP is just about phased completley now. The new games that are getting launched are requiring the power that PCI-e is using to some degree now, so AGP is a dead ended purchase as it's future proof isn't secure.

Problem 2- Your processor and motherboard are probably too dated to cope with a brand spankin new Video Card. No use purchasing a $300 VGA card, if it is your CPU which will stop the games from running over 25 frames. Now if you have a Sempron core AMD- (this is a cheaper, lightweight version of a AMD 64+ Single core) the performance of your games will be hindered by the CPU not the VGA, so look at investing in a new CPU double check your motherboard would be able to accomodate such an upgrade (if your mobo is 939 socket AMD, you'll be all good! If you have 754 socket or Socket A this is going to make looking for a CPU slightly harder as these sockets have run their course and no longer are in production.)

AMD Sempron cores are cheaper due to the following-
1. The clock speed is 2.0Ghz but the architecture doesn't include some encoding and processing capabilities that are found on the 64+ and FX cores. Some of these encoding will affect some of the performance of your PC.
2. The amount of memory is reduced in the caches instead of roughly 1/2 meg to a meg for each cache say L2 whatever, you would be lucky if you got 256Kb in L2. This will dramatically affect the amount of information your CPU can handle in a single clock cycle (Layman terms here)
3.The construction is done on the cheap, so parts although manufactured by AMD will look to more economic solutions in construction of the chips to maximize the profit gap for the company. Cheaper the part, most likely the cheaper the production costs (unless it is on sale.)

Your processor will be good for a basic web-box PC. You can type, web surf maybe even do some older games well like (DX 8 coding) but your CPU can handle heavy coding that comes DX 9 or higher games in development.

If you are upgrading just purchase a simple 6600GT or 6800 card to play games with for now. After that look at investing into a new CPU (non-sempron) for gaming such AMD 64+ (X2 cores are fantastic) or the Opteron cores (underrated performers) these will cost more but it will a noticeable improvment in performance (most games are bottlenecked by CPU's now rather than VGA.) If you have less than a gig of ram, purchase more to make it a gig. And then secure your upgrade finally by looking at PCI-e motherboards, finally starting to plateau in prices and now the revisions are actually looking pretty good.

So good luck, and enjoy whatever happens....

so let me get this straight. step one is getting a new video card, step 2 is getting a new cpu, step 3 is getting ram and step 4 is getting a new mobo??
ALSO

double check your motherboard would be able to accomodate such an upgrade

how might i do that?

wedge_00 said:
Your processor will be good for a basic web-box PC. You can type, web surf maybe even do some older games well like (DX 8 coding) but your CPU can handle heavy coding that comes DX 9 or higher games in development.

If sempron's can't handle the heavy coding of DX9 why can mine play every game i can throw at it,I have a sempron 2600+ and a 6800GS and i can play all of today's DX9 game's no problem :confused:

shumway, what games do u play, like what are some of the more popular titles of games that u play?

there was a whole discussion of this cpu bottlenecking graphics cards... and it was proven FALSE! the cpu DOES NOT bottle neck the graphics card, the two are not linked in any way as GAARA said. The cpu basically just adds onto the fps your already getting.. which isnt too much more... my jump from 3500+ 2.2ghz 512mb cache.. to an opteron 146 overclocked at 2.8ghz 1mb cache, was about 2 fps difference... so don't go with this cpu bottleneck crap... there's been 100 threads about this bottlenecking, and i'm surprised no one has said anything yet... go ahead and get that 7800gs if you hvae agpx8.. it won't bottle neck your processor... just keep in mind, the 2 are in no way linked

and shumway, you are the perfect example, i'm sure your getting close to 100fps average on the cs:s stress test with your 6800 gs along with that sempron.. if not 100 then dang close to it

i'll use the equation i saw gaara use in another thread

Processor = A Frames, GPU = B Frames

so it goes as is A+B=C FPS ... or something like that.... no more bottleneck!

the only thing i see a cpu processing is physics and ai.. and there isnt a whole lot of that going on in games to stress out a sempron...

and here's another thread of it, you could get some more explaining, i can't find the one where gaara gave his statements though

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97445

N0toriou5 said:
shumway, what games do u play, like what are some of the more popular titles of games that u play?

The game's i play is stuff like.

COD 2
Doom 3
Medal of Honor Pacific Assualt
Need for speed most wanted
Unreal 2004

I have no problem's playing those,Most are just about on the highest setting's when playing,I still have BF-2 but i havent really bothered with that game in a while so i have no idea what i could play that at,The only problem i have is lack of ram right now,Lot's of time's after playing for a while i'll notice a slow down,When i get out of the game it take's a while for my system to get back up to speed again.

Firstly, i didn't intend my responses to be a step by step procedure. It was just advice to consider when thinking about upgrading your PC, cool?

Also to about the Semperon core comments well, you have a 6800GS card which is fantastic for gaming isn't it. That's why the performance is decent, I was just saying how that the performance of Budget CPU's isn't great with the development of future games, give that CPU another 9 or so months and you feel the slowdown more and more.

Why does everyone get so upset around here, geez this is only my opinion. So CHILL OUT !!!!!

I never made any statement to say what i wrote was the absolute truth but merely just adding to thread.....

And Shumway just a question what FPS are you getting....

SO IF I OFFENDED ANYONE :confused: I AM REALLY SORRY OKAY:(

LETS ALL BE FRIENDS !!!!!!

anyway think about getting the 6800 core video card or look at the 7600GTS for a video card solution to get back on the thread topic:D

i would still recommend any eVGA video card. i've had much luck w/ their products & have been very happy w/ the performance of them. i've had a 6600GT & now a 7800GT.

regards,

kirk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom