X1900XTX power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayare

Beta member
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my X800 to a X1900XTX but noticed that it requires a "PCI Express compliant power supply required. Connect directly to the power supply with a 6 pin PCI Express power connector."

My current power supply is http://www.xpcgear.com/spfs46duinxe.html

Is that compatible?

If not can someone point me to a good one?

Thanks

As long as your running typical components with less than 2 drives I'd say even 450 watts would suit you. Just ensure it's got at least 26 amps.

However if you plan on upgrading or adding internal hardware later and overclocking any component in your system, shooting for 550 watts is a better idea. The PSU 003 reccomended is a good choice.

I would get one with more power. You can convert two 4 pin molex cords to a PCI E 6 pin but I don't think your PSU can give that much power.

I'd go with the psu that 003 said to use that will give you plenty of room for upgrading in the future as well.

The PSU he (Jayare) linked won't be adequate for a X1900XTX. It only has 15a on it's single 12V+ rail. If it had more then 18a I'd say ok, give it a shot. (Just buy a Molex to 6 Pin PCI express connecter and you're good to go.) But, it's time to buy a new PSU.

Antec TT Power 550w are now about $80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom