New Build - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
What are you thoughts on these parts? (about a $700 budget but i gotta buy RAM and a Tower for another computer that i'm takin parts out of so mostly a $650 budget)

ABIT Fatal1ty An8

AMD Althon X2 3800+ 2 x 512MB L2 Cache

MSI Radeon X1600XT 256MB by 128bit GDDR3

Total about $660
The RAM, PSU, Tower, HD, and DVD drive i already have so now dont suggest any of that

G.Skill 1GB RAM DDR 400
HP IDE Lightscribe DVD-Drive
JUST PC 550Watt PSU
Kingwin Mutant X-Series Tower
Maxtor ATA 100 7200RPM 80GB

PC would be used for gamin, aim, msn, internet, stuff like that, movie editing too.

Please dont suggest a Nvidia video card because I have one now and I would like to get an ATI and also i prefer ATI over Nvidia. Also dont suggests any new parts that i already have (ex. RAM, PSU, Tower, HD, DVD drive)

I was also lookin at the Opteron 165 because of the higher L2 Cache and i heard its a better OCer than the X2s. I'm gettin this fan soon for my P4 system that i would use with the new system (the AMD one):
Scythe SCNJ-1000P 120mm CPU Fan/Heatsink

Well if you really want to stick with the ATI the X1800GTO ($250), X1800XT ($300) or the X1900XT ($450) are the best bets for that CPU.

The Opteron 165 is definitely a good idea over that CPU, but it's $30 more. Your choice.

Will my board support an Opteron (i've heard that many companies dont show on their site that they support opterons because they are server CPUs and stuff like that)?

Opterons will fit in any Socket 939 board, but it voids the warranty. However so many people overclock Opterons that it doesnt even matter. Go with a 6800GS, it easily beats the X1600XT and I'm a little shaky on the PSU. The motherboard is also overkill. Something cheaper like the MSI Neo4 Platinum will get the job done.

I really dont want another Geforce and the PSU i already have and its working just fine. Is their a better ATI card i could get than the one i picked out?

Well unfortuntely, ATI has a weekspot in the $200-$300 range. But, the X1800XT goes for $300. I reccomend waiting for the X1800GTO that will be somewhere between $200-250. Great card for price.

When is that supposed to be released? i was also lookin at a X800XL: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161165 which has 256-bit compared to the 128-bit on the X1600XT. What does the memory clock speed and core clock speed affect (like the X1600XT has higher clock speeds but lower memory interface)?

and for the mobo... i really like the fatal1ty board with all the features it has but i also like the MSI Neo4 platnium cause its cheaper, the site actually says it supports opterons, and i like MSI as a brand.

The abit site that shows all of the Fatal1ty features
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=262

Memory interface (the 128-bit and 256-bit thing ;)) is quite important.

However, the Xxxx series cards are inferior to the X1xxx series due to drivers, shader modules and efficiency. The X1800GTO is to be released around the arrival of April, and I think you'll be happy if you wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom