7800GT for AGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The G70 was not designed for AGP cards, Gainward just modded theirs so it could. ATI just now gave manufactures the right to OC their cores and I dought that ATI will let them mod them into AGP boards.
They made two chips specificaly for AGP. The 7800GS and 7600GS. These will be the last cards made for AGP. Any thrid party companies "rigging" cards for AGP i will not trust.

well so much for that, i kinda liked AGP too, it will be a shock to the pc dealers when they cant make cheap agp based systems cause the industry killed it off

and by the way agp can read\write at the same time too thats one of the reasons that it killed off pci

I think that AGP will live on for some time longer, but it's technically not possible to continue making AGP versions of the newer cards, because of bandwith issues. That's why there is a crippled 7800GT for AGP (the 7800GS), because if they made a 7900GT or such for AGP, it would be bottlenecked by the AGP x8 interface versus the PCI-e x16.

There is no bottlenecking. The only thing that uses the badnwidth is the programs using the cards and they dont currently use them. The fact of the matter is that the companies wanna outdate AGP so they are just gonna stop making AGP cards. No other reason to it.

P.P. Mguire said:
There is no bottlenecking. The only thing that uses the badnwidth is the programs using the cards and they dont currently use them. The fact of the matter is that the companies wanna outdate AGP so they are just gonna stop making AGP cards. No other reason to it.

Ah yes sorry I in a way mis-phrased that.

PCI Express allows much faster data transfer.

Also, PCI express with its sixteen pairs carries 4GB/s as opposed to AGP 8X 2.1 GB/s.

Ill give you that one, but what i said is still in affect. Games nor other programs dont even use the full advatage of PCI-E so its still sort of a fluke. I cant wait till we can take full advantage of that shiz.

They're just trying to kick off PCIe by releasing it before it is really needed. While true that games don't use the full bandwith, newer cards might.

If AGP still dominated (and PCIe wasn't endorsed like it is now) then cards/games that really utilize the bandwith would have to launch with PCIe, but then almost all gamers would have AGP. I believe they released PCIe now, to establish it in the market, so that when newer cards/games could use or need higher bandwith, PCIe wouldn't be this brand new technology that everybody would have to upgrade to for a new card.

They're just planting the seeds for PCIe so by the time they need to pick it, it would be grown enough to do so. They realized that AGP would still hold it's grasp in the industry, and they would need to slowly eat at it with PCIe untill PCIe is common throughout consumers.

well the cards dont even take advantage og the 2.1gbs bandwidth of agp so to use PCIe to its potential will take some time, i think the only real hardware that would take advantage of it would be CAD workstations but who here uses those?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom