windows OEM & 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

endeavor

Baseband Member
What is the difference between buying a Windows OEM version and a retail one? is it safe?

Can Windows Professional x64 run on 32bit processors? And can it run 32 applications?

Well if we could rn X64 OS on 32bit then everyone would be doin ...

64bit dont equal 32bit

there different and no you cant run 32bit aplications on it ..and u will need a Proccesor like Athlon XP 64bit

endeavor said:
What is the difference between buying a Windows OEM version and a retail one? is it safe?

Can Windows Professional x64 run on 32bit processors? And can it run 32 applications?

No XP x64 will not run on 32 Bit processors. It was made for 64 Bit. Hench the name.

Yes X64 can run some 32 Bit apps but not all. It can not run any 16 bit apps at all.

So if you question is should you buy a XP x64 for your system. Only if you have a 64 Bit processor. Other than that dont.

endeavor said:

yes/yes/why do you ask?

I'm asking because I am thinking of building a new computer. Right now I'm just getting a list of stuff I need. (I am on no time schedule at the moment to finish this computer.)

I'm trying to decide what operating system to buy. I've noticed at some online stores that OEM versions of Windows are about half the price of the retail version. So what exactly is the difference between OEM and retail regarding Windows XP?

Although I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm thinking of getting an amd 64, and possibly using a 64bit operating system. In your opinion, since I'm in no hurry to finish this computer, should I wait till Windows Vista arrives and buy that? or should I buy XP home OEM, and then use the Windows XP Pro x64 trial until Windows Vista comes out?

---I would look through that Windows Vista Discussion topic, but there's really too many posts for me to search through...

1. No problem buying OEM copy, BUT, you will receive hardware with it. I got my copy of XP PRO OEM... it came with an 8 MB ram module...

2. MAKE SURE you get the CORRECT copy of Windows. Take note that there is a FULL VERSION, and an UPGRADE version. The upgrade will be cheaper, but you have to already have a copy of windows to use it.

3. If you want for Vista, it's going to be a while, as it was pushed back until at least 2007..... http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/22/microsoft_postpones_an_industry_vista/

the ONLY way that OEM copy's are supposed to be sold is with a pice of hardware.... You buy a laptop, compaq, Dell, HP, whatever.... it has an OEM copy of windows on it.... because you bought it with hardware.....

The copy I got came with an 8 Meg stick of ram so old I can't do anything with it... technically, that is the hardware it was sold with. you will NEVER be able to by an OEM copy from Best Buy or Circuit City unless it is pre-installed on a PC or laptop.

As I said in my last post, be sure to know if you are getting an UPGRADE, or the FULL version of the software.

So the only reason they sell it with some hardware is because it's illegal to sell the OEM version alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom