AM2 to wait or not to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have alot of extra money and are a wingnut....go out and be a test monkey. I'm waiting for the definitive benchmarks and fine tunning and the unconditional architecture changes. I think we are talking about mid 2007! Conroe looks really good and my friend, who designs chips for a living (MIT electrical engineer) knows that the future of faster processing is not in the clock cycle rates but in the core and instruction piplelines. so quad core octacore (just made that up since there aint no such thing.) What is coming is not what we are ued too or familiar with. wouldn't surprise me to see extremely low core voltages and 30ns or so latencies and clock rates down to 1.5 to 1.8Ghz running multiple cores and multiple cpus! It's fun watching the whole protocol being turned on it's head!!!

"don't get caught up in the hype" was the main point of this thread. i can not say this strongly enough DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU HEAR PRE-RELEASE!!!! wait for post-release stats before passing judgement on anything unless you want to risk being bitterly dissapointed and very, very broke. just to illustrate why you shouldn't get caught up in marketing, for years people have raved about "how good" pentium 4's are and told me i'm an idiot for buying AMD. if the pentium 4 was so good why are the pentium M dothan and yohnah cores and the future conroe and merom cores based on the pentium 3? thats right its not a typo, i said pentium 3. for years intel have successfully marketed the pentium 4 despite the fact that the pentium 3's design was actually superior yet the public swallowed all the crap they put out.

Agreed.

nitestick said:
"don't get caught up in the hype" was the main point of this thread. i can not say this strongly enough DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU HEAR PRE-RELEASE!!!! wait for post-release stats before passing judgement on anything unless you want to risk being bitterly dissapointed and very, very broke. just to illustrate why you shouldn't get caught up in marketing, for years people have raved about "how good" pentium 4's are and told me i'm an idiot for buying AMD. if the pentium 4 was so good why are the pentium M dothan and yohnah cores and the future conroe and merom cores based on the pentium 3? thats right its not a typo, i said pentium 3. for years intel have successfully marketed the pentium 4 despite the fact that the pentium 3's design was actually superior yet the public swallowed all the crap they put out.

of course me too. i'm not buying until feb 2007 since thats when i need a new comp. i would never buy anything the day it comes out. but i am still allowed to express my excitement for what the stats r currently. thats exactly what marketing is for :). and its not going to only be for gaming. i need 3dstudiomax for my game and graphic development course plus photoshop cs2 and a variety of others so i wanna get the best possible chip

Unless AMD moves to 65nm or changes their CPUs architecture I don't really see how they can produce CPUs that perform at a similar speed as Intel's while costing around the same amount.

AMD is looking to release 65nm cores Q4 this year from what i have heard. cut them a break. AMD has managed to make many technological leaps despite having nowhere near the monetary power as Intel. it was easy for Intel to make the transition to 65nm, all they had to do was throw money at it and watch the problem dissapear. it will cost an awful lot for AMD to transfer to 65nm.

ya so far intel is way ahead of the game in terms of new tech

what is the basis of this statement. rumours say that Intel are ahead........with a processor that is at least 6 months from release. AMD is currently ahead technologically. Intel have only just figured out where they went wrong 5 years ago and started to make amends, they don't deserve sympathy or money for leading their customers down the wrong road for 5 years. from what i hear Intel still haven't got the brains to figure out their heinously bad memory controller. all Intel have done is boosted their performance per clock. that doesn't make their design any better, there are still many flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom