Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
xFx 7900gt! Whoa!

New xFx 7900GT in my system today. It is the extreme version 550/1500 (interestingly only reads 750 on coolbits....anyone know why?) When I first installed the card 3DMarko5 would not load and the card had multiple artifacts. After reisntalling the provided drivers it was like the GPU came to life after running 3Dmark05 4 times and the frame rate gradually increased as if the GPU was going through a "burn-in". Now the card is screaming and ran 3Dmark05 at 8150!!! OMG! :) Anyone with a 7900gt have a similar "burn in issue"?????

All cards have "burn in" times... its just the capacitors getting hotter and hot = expanding ='ing "burning in".

why did you go xfx though? there like.. the worst -.-

Interesting, I got basically that same score with my 7800GT when I overclocked it only mildly. (500/1100). I get up to 8200-8300 with it at like 520-530/1200. :confused: Can you overclock it any more without any artifacting?

It only says 750 in coolbits because its DDR RAM, just like your main RAM actually runs at 200MHz, but really runs at 400MHz

I get it....it's not the card it's my cpu and value ram.......only running a venice 3200+.............hense the not so spectacular score!!! But good enough for me!!! Never had a problem wiht any of the 6 or so xFx card I have owned!! They have been very reliable....this forum gives xFx an unrealistic negative bias I've found!! Right now the card is running 560/1600.

this forum gives xFx an unrealistic negative bias I've found!!
No, it's very realistic. ESPECIALLY during the 6xxx series. Perhaps they've cleaned up during the 7xxx series, but a majority of the posts in here in regards to graphic cards messing up were XFX series......that's why you see a lot of negative remarks towards them.

Some of us were actually HERE when all these "My XFX card died!" posts were happening, other people just keep hearing it and jump on the bandwagon, but I can assure you that XFX was putting out a lot of duds in the 6xxx series.

No probably not consider it's fairly new. Although it is part of the 6xxx series, it's not like it came out a couple years ago+ or whenever the 6xxx series first came out. That's what I'm talking about is when the 6800's were all brand new spanking cards. The XFX was putting out a lot of duds

Yep...the CPU part of the score is killing me! I'm thinking the 7900's and the 7800's are really very close in performance from what I'm now seeing. I installed the latest Beta Drivers and Coolbits 2.0 last night after the card stabilized. I was able to get that card to 560/1600 only! Since the cheapest 7900 gt's are stock 450/1350 I am assuming that this card, out of the box, was already clocked near its limit at 500/1500. So if you go with the 7800gt or 7900gt your pretty much in the same boat given they clock nearly the same and have 24 pipes. So, regardless of the hype, the 7900GT's are only a good choice because of the low price and Vista ready. I'm not unhappy because the frame rates on everything are great and the graphics are smooth at every setting. Nice card given I paid more for a 6800gt AGP just a year ago!!! Was only $309 from Tiger. 'll buy another form Newegg once the stocking improves and run them in SLI and then buy a Dual Core Opty in about 3 months. That should do me for awhile!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom