Power Supply Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad_dude

Solid State Member
Hello Every one! I am frankly you new as you might notice by the number of my posts. I hope to gain some knowledge and learn as much as I can from the ones who are geniuses here.

The problem started when I turned my computer off.

I can't turn it on anymore. I checked all the wires and power outlet, everything is connected and seems ok.

Hints; when disconnecting and reconnecting the power cord, the little green light on the back of the computer which is located on the power suply goes on and then turns off. When pressing the on button from the front of the pc, nothing occurs.

I could get the pc "on" several times by another trick. By unplugging the power cord from the back of the computer and plugging it in redandantly like 20 times and in the mean pressing the on button in the front of the pc. Guess what, the pc turns on by doing that. Probably the electricity current starts. It is like giving a jump. One other thing that really makes me suspicious, after turning the pc on. Then turning it off. I can still turn on the computer for an hour, but if I keep it unplugged for 3 or four hours and then plugging it freshly. It will have the same problem. The pc won't turn on. Then I have go through plugging and unplugging the power cord several times and pressing the on button from the front of the chase but it turns on eventually by doing that. There is no smoke, bad noise or any other problem with the computer. All the cords that are divided from the power supply through the chase such as motherboard, hard drive, floppy drive, dvd, cd and all that been checked and nothing is wrong with them.

My main question here today is that do you thing I have a bad power supply?

The computer is quite old. It is HP Pavilion xt936 having Windows Millenium OS on it... I did look through the forum and searched plenty of times on google but unfortunately there wasn't any solution so I decided to seek help from tech-forums. I greatly appreciate your time and effort answering and writing a solution to this tedious problem...

-James

It may have a short in the plug and may have nothing to do with the actual Power Supply. I would try a new power cable first.

gotta admit.. im curious on how or why you thought to plug it in like 20 times while repeatedly pressing the power button...??

I did mention a reason for that in my post
Probably the electricity current starts. It is like giving a jump.
That might not be the reason but it works...

It may have a short in the plug and may have nothing to do with the actual Power Supply. I would try a new power cable first
I have several power cables, I tried them all. It isn't from the power dable. I can assure you about that. The funny part is that once the power supply is on then it is on and stays that way forever.
When it turns off and kept unplugged for 3 or 4 hours then I can't turn it on. Again by unplugging and pressing the on button from the front starts the computer. It is like sparking the electricity current. What other situations might cause this?

i think is the electical wires damage... buy a new cable to try and dont let cables touch each other....otherwise it will damage or burn ur house easily...

I understand your point. I have 3 other computers in our house that are used on daily bases. I even transferred and exchanged cables with them. Do you think all the cables that I have in our house are bad? 3 cables from the three computers and I have 4 additional spare cables in the box. I tried them all since you guys said having a bad cable. It is still has the same problem. I tried different power outlets as well.

I would try the power supply. They are cheap and easy to replace so its worth a shot rather than go nuts thinking about it too much.

Just make sure you get the right type. If you computer is that old it may use an AT power supply rather than the newer ATX. Take it in with you to the store.

The problem is solved, i will just keep the computer on and restart it once a month or a week till everything shuts off once and forever. I don't really think, it is worth to purchase a power supply for 80 dollars or more and then the problem is from the Mobo. I really appreciate your help guys. You have been a great help replying back and forth. Thanks a bunch...

-James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom