Hibernation Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4A1

Daemon Poster
Let's say I choose to Hibernate my PC instead of shutting it down... is there a big difference?

I know hibernation takes up a little space, but that doesn't matter to me.

It's practically the same thing though right, because with hibernation you save your current settings on your hard disk then shut it off... and with shutdown, it just shuts down... so is there a big differeence as to why I should never shut my computer down, but hibernate it?

Hibernation is for people who like fast startup times. With a complete shutdown your PC could take a while to get back to your desktop. With hibernation, the bootup is very quick.

Exactly... which is why I hibernate my laptop all the time... It doesn't make a difference if I shutdown completely or hibernate other than the fact that it's quicker to load, right? So... it's ok to hibernate from now on, and never "fully" shutdown.

I always leave my computer on stand by, which is similar I think. I like how it turns on in like 5 seconds.

If you can Hibernate, use it. They are quite similar, however Hibernate mode takes data from RAM, compresses it and saves it to an allocated portion of your Hard Drive. Standby simply compresses the data to RAM. So, unfortunatly, if you lose your power for some reason, in Standby you lose any unsaved work. In Hibernate, you lose nothing.

weird, technically, shutdown shouldn't exist. It's inefficient for it to exist. Hibernation seems to be the better option. If you need to reboot, just use restart option. I've never actually used shutdown. I use standby because it loads up faster than hibernation would and all i need to do is wave my mouse around a bit. plus i find that right after hibernation, the computer's a bit choppy for the first 2 minutes.... while standby opens up immediatley the way you left it.

yes, bit the good thing about using hibernate is that it does not use any power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom