folder locking software

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveleroi0

Beta member
I am looking for some software (read: freeware) that will hide a windows xp folder from view/searches etc. I want it password protected, but many programs I find show up in the start menu and add/remove programs menu as "Folder Lock x.x" etc... CLEARLY showing that I have a folder protection installed.

I LOVE spydex.coms Hide Folders... but I can't pay for it. Any suggestion for some free folder protection?

WinXP's built-in "Compressed (zipped) folders"

Have you considered using WinXP's built-in "Compressed (zipped) folders"?
This handles passwords and would be ideal as you wouldnt have to worry about a program installed with a noticable name.
Making the compressed folder hidden is another nice touch

Possibly you have installed another compression utility that has taken the .zip extenetion such as Winzip, Winrar etc.
In this case you would have to either uninstall the utility or give WinXP's built-in "Compressed (zipped) folders" the extention.
OR
You can just rely on the zip utility for most of them have better password support as a standard. However you lose the "folder feel" that WinXP's built-in "Compressed (zipped) folders" have.

This SHOULD help... :confused:

EDIT:If you some help in setting this up, I just added a little tutorial to the Tips, Tricks and Tutorials Section

viveleroi0 said:
I am looking for some software (read: freeware) that will hide a windows xp folder from view/searches etc. I want it password protected, but many programs I find show up in the start menu and add/remove programs menu as "Folder Lock x.x" etc... CLEARLY showing that I have a folder protection installed.

I LOVE spydex.coms Hide Folders... but I can't pay for it. Any suggestion for some free folder protection?

many ppl keep asking this question, instead of downloading silly applications to "hide" files and directories why not just encrypt them?? there is a free version of pgp, plus many others that will do the job.

Does encrypting the file stop people from seeing it completely? How would I be able to decrypt it? Does it take time? Say I have a gig of files, would that be quick like just hiding the file, or would it take time like compressing it would?

Would files show up in searches?

Thanks for your help.

when you encrypt the file; its scrambled and no one can read it w/out the key. at that point it does not matter if the file shows up in a hd search. don't trust password protected zip archives either.. any dumba** can dl a small application and crack that open in mins if not seconds. yes, you can encrypt/decrypt a gig's worth of files. at one point, i kept the majority of my laptops hd encrypted. :zip: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom