Ageia PhysX add-in cards in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waphlez

Fully Optimized
I thought I would stop by Ageia's website to see whats going down and I found this,

http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/press.jsp?id=1143040307847

It says Asus and BFG are releasing theirs in May. I have also read the Alienware is going to start putting them in their rigs, probably overpriced as usual. I could pick one up with with money from my birthday (July 16), but I could wait till chirstmas.

(If the May release thing is old news don't blame me, blame the search engine)

How does this PhysX card connect to the motherboard? PCIe? Or its a new technology?

Yea, they finished their production a while ago, and the price was set at $250-$300 at the beginning of the year, but they're just waiting for game makers to release games supporting it. No one's going to buy a $300 PhysX card if they can't use it.

I'm afraid I'm not. It may "do for Physics what videocards did for graphics," but I'm not looking for another $300 component to put in my PC.

Is going to be hard to resist though. Different, weaker versions are something debateable because I don't know how one PhysX card would be better than another since they all have to calculate Physics. Hopefully the price *eventually* drops to around $150, then it'll be worth it.

But having one in my system would be crazy.

I'm looking forward to it. Take all physics off of CPU and GPU and then your GPU and CPU will seem more 'powerful' and be able to render things it otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Maybe developers will release patches for games like oblivion that will (by that time) have been out for a few months and will be able to take advantage of the physics which should (in theory) allow you to boost your graphical settings up.

Very true Nubius, I didn't think of it that way. Although, I do agree with Green Radience about competitors. Unless PhysX is the only company to release this, there should be a cheaper model by another brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom