Dell starts selling $9,900 overclocked gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Dell will today begin taking orders for its "limited edition" XPS 600 Renegade quad SLI, physics engine-equipped desktop gaming rig, the computer giant said today. The kit will set you back a whopping $9,930, though that includes Dell's 30in LCD monitor.

The XPS 600 Renegade comes in a custom-painted case inside which sit four GeForce 7900 GPUs each with 512MB of video memory ready to run games at 2,560 x 1,600. The unit also features an Ageia PhysX processor on which games can offload all their complex physics calculations to free up the CPU - a dual-core Pentium D Extreme Edition "factory overclocked" to 4.26GHz, no less - for stuff like artificial intelligence work.

dell_xps600_r_1.jpg

Dell's also put a SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card in the box, which also houses a Western Digital 160GB 10,1000rpm Raptor hard drive and - in case you run out of room - a second WD HDD, a 400GB, 7,200rpm job. There's 2GB of dual-channel 667MHz DDR 2 connected to the CPU via an Nvidia nForce 4 SLI chipset.

All this, plus the 30in 3007WFP monitor, comes to $9,930, but Dell said it has a range of lesser spec'd machines for gamers on a tighter budget. It also said it was offering the Ageia physics controller on its regular XPS 600 and XPS 400 desktops in versions priced at $2,039 and $1,239, respectively.

Dell said it has begun selling the XPS 600 Renegade, but at the time of writing the machine had yet to appear as a purchase option on its US website.

Yaaa! for the rich kids. What a waste of money...

But their 30in LCD is pretty nice from what I hear.

I do like the cases they have, except the whole Dell name and logo. Although seeing Dell burning in flames is somewhat satisfying...

well, it is a nice computer, but waaay overpriced. i dont like that case. the flames do not do it any favours.

a few luckys kids now are going to be even more spoiled then ever before.

Wow, a gaming PC, gaming, on an Intel PD...?!

Anyway, that seems a **** of a lot of money, but I'm not sure exactly how overpriced that is. Weird case.

Charlie -

Now, I could be VERY wrong here, but as far as what I have seen, MOST serious gamers that would require that much hardware, build their own PC's....

For whatever reason, I have a feeling that the sales on the $9000 machine aren't going to be too good...

i want to see some benchies.

edit: another thing. you would be NUTS to buy that when the DX 10 cards and gddr4 are coming soon.

Are there even games that can support a quad-SLi setup? Are there even graphics engine models to handle that?

And besides, I can't think of any gaming need for that much power. Graphics work, yes, modeling and rendering yes, but gaming? That'd be overkill for even the new Unreal Tournament.

Yeah I agree, That's overkill and a half right there. A good AMD cpu and a decent graphics card if all you need for almost any game out now. This thing will most likely end up in the rooms of kids whos parents think their kids need to have everything in the world never getting used. I highly doubt a serious gamer would ever consider buying a pre built gaming machine, much less one built by Dell.

Now if only I could have that machine with an fx-60 overclocked, 4gb of ram, and dual 1500 rpm HDD's in Raid 0 or even a solid state hard drive.... only in my dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom