OS Install (dumping image)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actism

Beta member
Hello all,

I'm am a system builder and business has been picking up.
Problem though, all the OEM versions of XP Pro are taking too much time for me to install on multiple machines.

Does anyone know if there is a way to drop an image of XP pro to multiple machines from a fast process through DOS?

I know of Xcopy but I'm trying to find out if there is a more simpler/faster way.

Thanks.

personally i'd go with an imaging program like norton ghost or preferably acronis true image. Just clone the HDD.

Hello,

No they dont have the same hardware. Some clients want faster processors, different video cards, Audio cards, Capture cards and stuff.

I would like to come up with something where I can just dump in the OS, turn on the computer and activate the software.

I know XP is finikie with hardware change in it's OS configuration, but I dont know if there is something out there that will over-write that requirement.

Thank you for your advice.

Without the same hardware config it wont work. Since you cant use different hardware you have to instal it on each system seperately.

Norton Ghost might work but if you have a Intel processor when you did that install compared to a AMD system you wouldnt get it to install.

Sorry to say you have to do it indivually. But that what happens when you build each PC. I know i have this same issue.

Thanks for your advice.

I'll try Ghost and see if that will work for me.
If I need to, i'll keep one for AMD and another for Intel.

From what I remember, there is a way to do it. i used to work for a system builder who did do it with all the systems he built, but he was one of those techs who wasn't up for sharing his knowledge. Which is ok. I'm sure I'll find it, then post it here so people like you and me can build these machines a lot quicker.

Cheers!

Well the best piece of advice i can say is that you have to isntall it Via Ghost. From there dont have a sound card, ethernet, or pretty much anything that can vary from system to system. The only thing i would say would be Video you need a generic driver so you can do the isntall. Other than that good luck. I knwo i have seen systems that you could do this via Ghost or a network install but most of those were with modified installers.

You can run the install from a script or unattended from a command line install. is this what you mean?

if the computers use different hardware then I wouldn't bother with hard disk cloning Esp. if you have different motherboards.

Yes I would use the unattended install so you can do it while your working on another pc or at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom