Question on sdram memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrofc54

Solid State Member
I am new here and i have a friend with a problem, she has a new compaq computer with only 128mb memeory she ordered a 256 mb stick of memory, and i installed it. The computer says only 224 mb is avaliable and with a 128+256 should be reading at 384,is there a setting that could be wrong or is it a bad memory chip? I never have had this problem as it either was non- reconized or the full memory was avaliable. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Is her mobo compatible wit the ram you bought? give me the mobo name and trhe name of the ram

This happens if u install newer SDram on old boards ..it shows half the memory count ...

Please post the mobo n' ram details

My friend had the same problem with his computer... weird. I would tend to agree that it would be from new ram on an old mobo

I doubt it the most the video would take up is 64Mb while this problem is losing over 128Mb. I think there is some sort of compatability problem

it is possible that the motherboard only supports a maximum of 128MB memory in each slot. try the RAM in each slot alone, by itself anch check your memory size

Sorry im so late in replying, its a newer Compac computer (wal-mart bought) but not sure of model #! Could be about 6 months old so im wondering about the 128mb per slot, there are 2 and only 128 was installed factory.Never thought about just the new memory stick, and pulling the factory installed one to check and see if the mobo reads it at 256mb like its supposed to be. Will post results soon, thanks for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom