Video Card Recs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks aliasaid...but shouldnt I get a 256MB? I noticed the prices are similar between 128 and 256 in some cases.

Thanks.

I dont plan to play any games, maybe SimCity. I want to have something that looks crisp and clean. No need to save $10 or $15 if my eyes will pay the price.

Memory on a video card is wasted if the card can't display the textures. 256 has only 'recently' been required for top end cards. Its upto you at the end of the day.

Thanks Trifid...how can I determine what type of textures the card will display. Also, what are "textures"?

Thanks!

Textures on a 3d model I'm talking about. That is what uses up the memory on a video card. Sim City is unlikley to use the extra memory of the 256.

agreed, when there are no games to be played there is nothing to challenge the modern graphics card. video memory is mainly used by games to generate textures, 3d models, scene geometry etc. when you are just using ms apps and the like, your video memory can be calculated by using the colour depth *number of pixels on the screen e.g.
(number of pixels 1024*768=786432)
(786432*32bit colour depth=25165824)
(25165824/8=3145728bytes)
(3145728/1024=3072KB)
(3072/1024=3MB)

it probably uses a bit more than this at all times but it still goes to show that you dont need the latest thing out if you are not playing games.
btw sorry for any poor maths, i think its alright :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom