Trouble with installing WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xp Home came installed. But SP2 wasnt out when I got it. I believe it is SATA, but the maxtor page says PATA..

houndofspace said:
Xp Home came installed. But SP2 wasnt out when I got it. I believe it is SATA, but the maxtor page says PATA..

you might have a floppy sata maker on your mobo cd. what your mobo make and model?

ok.. the fun continues.

I used maxblast 4 and partitioned the hard drive. i then booted from the cd. Once again it said that it didn't recogize a hard drive on my comp.

kill me now

i really don't know that i could tell you my mobo make and model. There are a few barcodes on it:

one says: Dell REV.A02
another: AA C8095-206
the last: DS/N CN-0U2424-48111-435-00YD

I'm really not sure that helps. It's got intel chips all over it and it is a Dell XPS gen 2.

bleh

I don't know what to say anymore, you really need to find that driver. My other solution is to install Windows on another HD that it recognizes, update to the latest SP2, then add that maxtor HD and hopefully windows will recognize it.

Good Luck.

head to dell website and look for the sata driver (give the model number and service tag)

try the promise sata from maxtor and see if that will work for now

also when you partition the drive with maxblast, you should format it as ntfs too. then the xp cd might see it

When i partitioned it, it was ntfs. Should the partition fill the whole drive or not?

I found two sata card drivers at maxtor but none were promise. I did find the dell sata driver too, but nothing comes with a floppy drive anymore. I've called 7 friends and mine (the xps) is still the only one with a floppy drive. Therefore I have to wait until tomorrow when i go to campus.

You've been helpful. ill be back tomorrow.

thanks

houndofspace said:
When i partitioned it, it was ntfs. Should the partition fill the whole drive or not?

I found two sata card drivers at maxtor but none were promise. I did find the dell sata driver too, but nothing comes with a floppy drive anymore. I've called 7 friends and mine (the xps) is still the only one with a floppy drive. Therefore I have to wait until tomorrow when i go to campus.

You've been helpful. ill be back tomorrow.

thanks

please give me the computer model number. I'll show you how to make a sata floppy from scratch

hdd: Maxtor maxline Plus II (model 7y250m0)

I don't know where to find the model number of the computer itself. It's a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2, P4 3.4 Ghz, 1 Ghz RAM.
The only unique looking number on the machine is the service code: 95FSN41

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom