Random CPU spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
Been having this issue for a while and it's been annoying me to no extent as of late

tskmgr2.jpg
tskmg.jpg

One of my cores always spikes to 100% load every few days or so for a few minutes before backing off again and returning to normal...this issue is strange because as you can see it actually adjusts accordingly when the other core which is actually running processes starts to get under load

I have installed the hotfix and the drivers and made the appropriate registry edits as this reminds me very much of the processor speed up/slow down issue yet the issue has not been resolved...I have of course scanned for any garbage on the computer and found nothing

I am honestly thinking this is just a bug and windows doesn't respond well to multiple physical cores since task manager claims my CPU is at about 84% idle yet it clearly shows it's at 50% workload...I wanna know if anyone with any other multicore CPUs suffers from this issue as I'm fed up with it

Well, as we've chatted about it, I'll let you know sometime this week whenever that opty 165 gets here.

Zipzoomfly says it's 'packed' .....bah! Was hoping it'd be shipped today. Slackers! So I probably wont get it until thursday assuming they ship it tomorrow and it's Fedex 2 day and all.

Oh well...got another present that should be coming in the mail tomorrow :D Muahahahah.

Anywho, I'm hoping I can get that thing before the LAN so I can OC the crap out of it and have it ready for some fraggin.

well I did a bit of searching around and found one other person who has the same issue but of course no one had a logical answer and were simply replying with BS about the core was overheating and crap that was no help at all

AND even now my core is back down to normal so I have no idea what would cause it to act up so much...I guess I'll have to make a freaking early upgrade to vista but I'm gonna reformat tomorow and hopefully that fixes whatever problem there may be

I'm interested in seeing what type of stepping you get...I haven't heard much after week50 mind you I haven't really looked into it but I'm going with a 99.9% chance you won't get a dud...these opterons are weird, they aren't getting worse at overclocking at all like the venices

As I said, if it DOES.......I will MURDER someone.......someone innocent and undeserving of MURDER :p

Just like there was a GREAT chance of my venice overclocking high since it was fairly early, only week 18, yet it wouldn't go very high....BAH....I want my 2.8GHz that I originally wanted! Of course even 2.6GHz would be like an FX-60 and all so that's nothing to scough at.

I'm hoping maybe.....MAYBE zipzoomfly still has some earlier models in stock because I don't think they get quite as much business as newegg does, but I could be wrong.

I hope I don't get any weird problems, because I want to prevent going to vista for as long as possible.

BTW: What Vcore and extra VID are you running at to get the speeds you're getting.....you said 2.6GHz right?

I have it 2.65Ghz 1.5v + 104% which comes out to about 1.5v in CPU-Z...after that core1 kinda kick outs and I gave up after that buuutt once I get this new ram from my friend I'm gonna try and bench at 3GHz with a nice high HTT

You say core1 kicks out and you think this new RAM will allow you to jump from 2.65 up to 3GHz!? That's a pretty big leap dude.

For this venice I'm using 1.45v + 113% resulting in like.....1.584 or so says CPU-Z....it's running 2.565GHz and RAM at DDR466 like I told ya before...it's giving me a P-Rating of 4048+ though, so that's better than before when I had 3800+

Does suck it'll only have a 9x multi though. You'll need to run your HTT at 333 and that'll give you 2.997GHz, if you go above that you'll need to put the HTT Multi down at 2x lol. So yeah your HTT (and mine assuming it can overclock well) will have to be pretty dang high in order to run.

I'm pondering whether I should try moving my RAM to the yellow slots and seeing if that'll fix the whole Cas latency issue, but I think my water tubing coming from the radiator might be in the way.

no I don't mean I expect ram to improve the core ceiling but I'm pretty sure with some tweaking I can get in 3GHz benchmark stable...but there's no point in me trying thta considering in a few days I'll have better ram that I can bench with it with a HTT for some higher scores

Seems no one has any answers?

I assume from no answers, no one has the problems....

FedEX Says my package will be here tomorrow :D So hopefully I can get that thing installed and cranking away and let you know sometime in the evening my time, how everything is going.

gaara said:

I am honestly thinking this is just a bug and windows doesn't respond well to multiple physical cores since task manager claims my CPU is at about 84% idle yet it clearly shows it's at 50% workload...I wanna know if anyone with any other multicore CPUs suffers from this issue as I'm fed up with it

well, 52% is the average between the two cores. one core may well be at 84%, but the 52% is taking the other core into account (which is much lower)

Er no...you don't seem to understand

One of my cores occasionally spikes to 100% usage, but since task manager takes into both cores it says my overall CPU usage is only at 50% consider core0 is still idle...yet task manager doesn't seem to show any processes taking up that much CPU power, and I was showing that point by showing that it's reading that my CPU is 84% idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom