Solid State Member
Here is my recipe (all put together):

Intel Desktop D945PVS
Ultra 550W Power Supply (sli ready)
Pentium D Processor
XFX 6600 GT ePCI video card
Western digital sata hard drive
IDE dvd r/w drive...etc

Here is the problem. PC boots powers up but I don't see any display on my sony flatscreen. I've tested the flatscreen on other pc's and it checks out. So I point my finger at the video card. I am very new to these cards. It seems to have a connector that needs to be fed to the PCI Express X1 connector? Is this true?

The fan is running on the GPU....green light on the monitor...no beeps...etc.

Try a different port on the video card. It may be something other than the Graphics card since their are no beeps indicating a failure.

Tried that...

I've tried both output ports on the video card. I did notice, just now, that the keyboard doesn't light up. I still have the green LED lit up on the mob, power supply is cranking...etc etc....fan on video card. Everything seems to be going. I've even gone as far as unplugging everything (including the box fans)...basically, the video card, hard drive and mob is the only thing getting powered. What are the ePCI 1x ports for? I have the video card plugged into a 16x slot..but noticed on the far edge of the video card an adapater for another plug of some sort. I'm feeling a bit dumb here :)

thanks for responding to my post :)

ThomasWest said:
Here is my recipe (all put together):
It seems to have a connector that needs to be fed to the PCI Express X1 connector?
no it doesnt , and pci-e 6600gt unlike the agp version have no power connector so theres no cable to connect to it, anyway 3 possible reasons
1) you didnt connect the 4pin plug to the motherboard
2) the motherboard is fried
3) the graphic card is fried
but 2 is much more common then 3 in these sorta cases , i suggest youll rma the motherboard if #1 isnt the reason

as for the PCI-E 1X slots their for expansion cards (but currently there arent much cards for PCI-E 1X)

What would cause the mob to be fried? The very first time I powered it up I had information on the screen. Second time...nothing. I've never done anything so time consuming and frustrating. It's been a week process getting all the exact parts...and yet..so unfulfilling :) The back of the ps has the right voltage selected...everything looks good to me. Can anyone recommend someone in So Cal that can get this friggin thing going rather quickly?

Cheers,

tom

Got it working with new Mob

Went ahead and replaced the mob (exchanged at fry's). Everything is up and running now, but my processor is running hot. The heat sync fan is rocking a rolling but it says my temp is around 85-90C's. Zone1 and Zone2 on mob are fine at 50C's. All of this info I'm gathering from the Intel Utility that comes with the Mob. I have the most current Bios from Intel, have 4 case fans, 1 fan on 6600 GT e-PCI card and fan ontop of heat sync. As I said before, I don't have any of the side panels on and room temp is at 70 F degrees. Do I need to now add water cooling?

I named my new PC Melissa...after my ex-wife because its sucking all the money out of my wallet! hahaha

Thanks for any help :)

More info...

As I'm watching the Intel Hardware Monitor application, it shows the processor temp go from 156 F to 175 F then back down to 160 F...I don't think it would cool 10-20 degrees in a second or two. Anyone else have the same behavior?

are you useing artic silver 5 thermal paste? that well help reduce the temp. Also make sure you have the heatsink mounted good on the motherboard. Also if you are useing as5 then make sure you didn't place to much of it on the cpu/heatsink. You only have to apply a very very small amount.

The Processors can get very hot very fast. If you don't use a heatsink it can burn up in matter of secs and you can fry your cpu so with it cooling down in matter of secs it is possible but try to get your temps down alot.

Also good wire management well allow better air flow which well help reduce heat problems in the computer.

Thanks

I have the basic config...several fans with a heatsync on cpu...didn't use any liquid. What's your thoughts on the "big water" system? Worth the investment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom