Trouble with installing WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

houndofspace

Baseband Member
Ok, I need help.

I've recently decided to reformat the hard drive on my computer.
I'm currently running XP home, but have acquired XP pro and want to install it.

I put in the XP pro install disk and let it auto restart my comp. It tries to boot from the disk. It goes to the blue screen and says:
-hit F6 to install any third party RAID or SCSI controllers
-hit F2 to begin WIndows Automatic Recovery

after it scrolls through those, it begins to pull files from the CD. But a few seconds later this error screen comes up.

So I restart my comp and check for viruses.. none. I then do the
chkdsk /f thing.

The error message returned:

The type of file sytem is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive
CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

I picked yes and it did nothing after i restarted my comp.

The reason I am reformatting is to just clean a lot of junk off of the drive. There is no problem with it that I can tell.

So, what am I looking at here? Is the drive corrupt?

Help please and thanks

When you reinstall XP, make sure during the setup (while you're still at the blue text screens) that you delete your current partition and re-create a new one. Once you've done that, do the full format (rather than quick).

Before beginning, make sure your BIOS settings are correct - change the option for 'Plug n' Play OS' to NO.

If the issue continues, remove any sound cards, modems or other extra devices. Once you've installed Windows XP, add the devices back one at a time.

If you think there maybe an issue with the hdd, go to the manufacturers website and download the diagnostics app to test it out (usually under support > downloads).

Good luck.

according to microsoft support site, there could be few reasons
1) driver issue , you might need to press F6 and use the mobo sata driver floppy (but if you didnt do that in previous times you reinstalled or alredy did it than thats probably not the issue)
2) filesystem curruption
3) boot virus

lets assume its 2/3 , load the recovery console read here how http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654 and do chkdsk , if that wont help then youll have to repartition that hard drive (means youll have to delete all of its partitions and recreate,but if you have only 1 hard drive then youll likely lose alot of important data so if you need to backup some data before doing so use ubcd4win or reatogo and burn the data to cd/dvd media)

Ok. So I'm still getting the blue screen error form before.
Also getting the same error when I try to run the recovery console.

Should i just repartition my hard drive? I've got everything I need backed up.

If so, is there any one easy way to do it?

Thanks again

according to this MS page bout that error message. repartitioning will be the idle thing to do , two easy ways
1) use a third party partition manager like acronis disk director/paragon partition manager/partition magic
2) download the diagnostic software from your hard drive manufacturer site and zero fill it (will completly erase it) and then just boot the xp cd and create the partition/s from there

use powermax cd.iso in my signature. it will wipe bootsector and clean that other junk on the quick erase option

but will powermax work for him if his hard drive aint a maxtor thats the question , its better to play it safe and use the manufacturer program

If you have more than one stick of memory, take one out.

Also, look into a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard, downloadable via the manufacturer's website.

jeremy said:
but will powermax work for him if his hard drive aint a maxtor thats the question , its better to play it safe and use the manufacturer program

it will only test a maxtor, but it will delete and everything (it will test, it then)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom