Socket F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I`ll wait and see how this year goes, its such a busy year hard to no when to upgrade these days.

I might go socket F if it wont hamper playing games or doing 3d graphics or c++ coding. And at least in future I could mess around with using my pc as a server :)

gaara said:
No offense but you clearly haven't been following the direction of software development in the past year or so...multithreaded instruction sets have started to pop up and will excel in environments containing large numbers of physical cores working simultaneously together

Furthermore, the silicon has pretty much reached it's peak as far as clock frequency goes therefore rather than continue to manufacture higher clocked single core processors both Intel and AMD have move towards increasing the number of cores found within a single die

Opterons are more than affordable and are very competetive against both the fastest single and multicore processors for much cheaper

Socket F would be the next generation platform for socket 940 based processors and systems, so if you're buying a Socket F system you're really paying a premium for a setup that can handle a heavy workload for long periods of time
That wasn't my point at all.

My point was, irregardless of whatever the technology is doing, the chip giants can produce virtually anything they want and some group of idiots with too much cash are going to buy them.

Heck, if they came out today with an 8-core chip that cost $2,000, there'd be a storm of morons rushing out to buy them, slapping up 8-core sigs and blabbering about how great their system is ...even though it's running a chip that isn't fully supported yet (or at all).

It doesn't matter if a year down the road there is finally support for the hardware and a wide-enough user base for actual applications to be developed that use that hardware. They can put out the chip now, for some un-godly price, and ride the wave of public stupidity as people throw their money at it.

Stop being jealous, u know if u had the money, u would get a system like that..
And the morons that buy that expensive technology usually have a serperate pc, jus in case...
They arent idiots, there jus rich and successfull.

alexsabree said:
Stop being jealous, u know if u had the money, u would get a system like that..
And the morons that buy that expensive technology usually have a serperate pc, jus in case...
They arent idiots, there jus rich and successfull.
It's not a matter of money. I could fill my den with those chips if I wanted. The reason I can do that though is because I'm not a moron who wastes my money buying things I can't use.

There's no reason to buy a cutting-edge chip if you can't use it, but the chip manufacturers know that even if the chip isn't supported they can still sell it because somewhere, some idiot is gonna buy it. They make a lot of money that way.

Think about it. Are you gonna spend $1,000 today for a chip you can't use...Or are you gonna wait a bit and buy it for less than half that much and at a time when you can actually use it to its potential? If you buy it now, at $1,000, you're basically letting the chip manufacturers rob you for nothing.

TheMajor said:
Their parents mostly.
Yeah. I'll bet there's quite a few of those.

NEW NEWS:

Socket F may be out July 11th!

Who knows what the CPUs will be like though. AMD recently stated that they are putting all their efforts into their Opteron line this year. Maybe we'll see something really good.

Are opterons still slated for DDR3 support?

That wasn't my point at all.

My point was, irregardless of whatever the technology is doing, the chip giants can produce virtually anything they want and some group of idiots with too much cash are going to buy them.

Heck, if they came out today with an 8-core chip that cost $2,000, there'd be a storm of morons rushing out to buy them, slapping up 8-core sigs and blabbering about how great their system is ...even though it's running a chip that isn't fully supported yet (or at all).

It doesn't matter if a year down the road there is finally support for the hardware and a wide-enough user base for actual applications to be developed that use that hardware. They can put out the chip now, for some un-godly price, and ride the wave of public stupidity as people throw their money at it.
Ok, so your point is that people prematurely buy hardware that isn't supported, and you're directly using multicore environments when making that claim

When socket 939 was released over a year ago it was developed to include full support for all subsequent multicore processors including X2s and the suprise 939 Opterons with a simple BIOS flash...so yeah, the platform is fully supported

And AMD has already released the appropriate drivers...as well as microsoft releasing the appropriate hotfix to prevent processor speed ups/slow downs...SP2 is also built with the option to set affinity on any application within task manager therefore so yeah, it's fully supported on the software side as well

Plus as I mentioned software developers have been already been rather quick to put out the appropriate patches for multiplethreaded processes...COD2 had a patch, Quake4 had a patch and Oblivion will run like that right out of the box, nvidia 81.98 drivers are also patched for dualies as well I believe

I fail to see how they aren't supported

Their parents mostly ...

Are spending more then they have ... do you know what percent of Americans are in credit card debt? I highly doubt their rich, they simply buy their kids whatever they want to shut them up. I may ***** about not having a PC to game and upgrade and stuff, but I'd rather work this summer and pay for it on my own then have my parents buy it for me. Those kids may be showered with awesome PC rigs now, but who will they run to for money and necessities when their off in the real world? We pay the price now, they pay it later, it's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom