Intel Pent 3 EB upgrading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

defzeppelin

Solid State Member
Ya I know, my Computer is really old and trashy. But I want to be able to play Shadowbane, and my CPU is only clocked at 733mhz...

I used CPU Wizard and it says that my Motherboard supprts Socket 370 FC-PGA.

My question is:

Can I get any Socket 370? Does it have to be FC-PGA? Can my Motherboard support a 1.3 - 1.4 Ghz comp?

MB:
Manufacturer : Compaq
Mainboard : Compaq
Bios : Compaq
Chipset : VIA Apollo Pro
Physical Memory : 128 MB
ISA Bus : Yes
PCI Bus : Yes
AGP Bus : Yes
USB Bus : Yes
SMBus/i2c Bus : Yes
Bus HyperTransport : No
Bus CardBus : No
Bus FireWire : Yes

Chipset:
Processor : Intel Pentium III EB
Frequency : 733 MHz - (current : 733.05 MHz)
Support : Socket 370 FC-PGA
Cache L1 : 32 KB
Cache L2 : 256 KB
Voltage : 2.996 V
Processor Temperature : 108.3 °C
Processor Fan : 661 rpm
FPU Coprocessor : Present
Processor activity : : 1%

Processor Temperature : 108.3 °C

lol i hope thats farenheit.

that cpu on ebay should fit! doesn't come with heatsink/fan but the one you have should fit it. you'd just need some thermal paste. also, you GOTTA upgrade your ram.

PIIIs run nowhere near as hot as the current P4s.......... that is either most likely a typo or just a farenheit reading.

By the looks of your specs, you are stuck using the Coppermine-based CPUs (which max out at 1.13 GHz). The only VIA chipset that was known to support the Tualatin CPUs (<=1.4-1.53 GHz) was the Apollo Pro 133T. However, there is a way around it. The voltage changes in the Tualatin CPUs (from the Coppermine) required chipset manufacturers to revamp their chipsets.

However, there is a loophole around this, but it's not 100% guaranteed to work (an FC-PGA2 to FC-PGA adapter, similar concept to the Slotket adapters used for running FC-PGA Socket 370 CPUs on SECC2 Slot 1 motherboards):

http://www.hardwarecooling.com/prod...C-PGA2_Tualatin_Adapter_for_Socket_370_FC-PGA

Since the processor was noted as a Pentium III EB, the FSB is most likely 133 MHz (and for the PIII, it's only possible to attain a frequency of 733 MHz from a 133 MHz FSB when using multipliers in increments of 0.5).

There are 3 designations (excluding the PIII-S Tualatin):

Pentium III B - 100 MHz FSB, Katmai core (512K L2 cache at 1/2 - 1/3 operating frequency)

Pentium III E - 100 MHz FSB, Coppermine core (256K L2 cache - full operating frequency)

Pentium III EB - 133 MHz FSB, Coppermine core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom