Socket F

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronvongogo

Fully Optimized
Hello all,

I plan to upgrade in the winter and was thinking AM2 with dual core but I shall wait for the conroe to compare benchmarks.

I was just wondering is socket F an option? Is it just for servers? or would it be ok as a gaming and graphical pc, using a motherboard that is made for servers.

Also is there any huge differences between AM2 and socket F on the available information on both.

Didnt they make the optys that are s939 for workstations?

i hope to god they make the quad core opty's for Pc's.

wow a server with 4 quad core optys, that 16 total cores!

The Conroe quad is to come out in 2007 (maybe) That is one bigA** Chip....two Conroes patched together vertically....the size of a quater of a Gramcracker!!!

Probably not for awhile. how about dual cpu quad core Server mobos!! Heheheheh! with Quad SLI/PCIe!!! and 16 gigs of memory!

tommyboy123x said:
lol, thats crazy... what will they do after that..? 8 cores?
They'll come up with whatever new gimmick they need to get morons to run out and buy it before it is even supported, needed, or functionally sound.

Once the price drops to a range where it can be widely applied to the user base and thus becomes supported, they will just do something else to get the same idiots to run out and buy yet a new generation of unsupported and over-priced chips.

Such is the cycle of brain-damage.

Probably not for awhile. how about dual cpu quad core Server mobos!! Heheheheh! with Quad SLI/PCIe!!! and 16 gigs of memory!

^^^^^=$$,$$$ dollars....

some rich dude should grab one of those (if they are ever made) and run 3dmark06

just on the cpu test hed probly get more fps than me lol

Yes 8, then 16, then 32, 64 ... noticing a pattern?

Socket F is only for servers, and buying a server CPU for normal tasks or gaming is an option but not efficient at all.

They'll come up with whatever new gimmick they need to get morons to run out and buy it before it is even supported, needed, or functionally sound.

Once the price drops to a range where it can be widely applied to the user base and thus becomes supported, they will just do something else to get the same idiots to run out and buy yet a new generation of unsupported and over-priced chips.

Such is the cycle of brain-damage.
No offense but you clearly haven't been following the direction of software development in the past year or so...multithreaded instruction sets have started to pop up and will excel in environments containing large numbers of physical cores working simultaneously together

Furthermore, the silicon has pretty much reached it's peak as far as clock frequency goes therefore rather than continue to manufacture higher clocked single core processors both Intel and AMD have move towards increasing the number of cores found within a single die

Opterons are more than affordable and are very competetive against both the fastest single and multicore processors for much cheaper

Socket F would be the next generation platform for socket 940 based processors and systems, so if you're buying a Socket F system you're really paying a premium for a setup that can handle a heavy workload for long periods of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom