Mem Latency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first one is the CAS latency timing, the second is the TRCD timing, the third is the TRP timing, and the fourth is the TRAS timing.

T stands for Time

TCAS - the number of clock cycles needed to access a certain column of Data in RAM. CAS Latency, or simply CAS, is known as Column Address Strobe Latency, sometimes refered to as tCL.

TRCD - the number of Clock cycles needed between RAS and CAS. It is the time required between the computer defining the row and column of the given memory block and the actual read or write to that location. Stands for Row address to Column address Delay.

TRP - the number of clock cycles needed to terminate access to an open row of memory, and open access to the next row. Stands for Row precharge time.

TRAS - the miniumum number of clock cycles needed to access certain row of data in RAM between the data request and the precharge command. Known as Active to Precharge Delay.

The steps for the CPU to access data in RAM:

1. defines which row the requested data is in (RAS)
2. gives the RAM time to access requested row (RCD)
3. defines the column of requested data (CAS)
4. waits for the RAM to send requested data to the CPU
5. precharges the row to recycle it for subsequent use (RP)

---> Copied from Wikipedia lol

what are some good numbers for gaming ram
and what are some good suggestions for gaming ram- ddr-400 dual channel

2-2-2-5 is the best you can get as far as DDR goes.

if you're up for an extensive read then here ya go:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397

explains all the timings. Yes it says for DFI board, but obviously it applies to any board that has those same options. DFI boards just have basically every option you can think of and some you cant

basically, the lower the timings the better the ram. for gaming ram, just get at least 1 gb of dual channel pc3200 ram and you should be fine.

i know this is kinda off this thread, but.....
Do you think there is a big diference between 756 and 1 gb, right now i have 756mb ddr 400. I plan to get dual channel (1.5gb) but i need to know if there is a big difference between 1gb and 756.

Should i buy that extra 256mb

bf2 takes a maximum of 1.25 gb... add that with other apps and services running and you will most likely, at the highest point, be using 1.5-ish gb of RAM on a 32 bit machine... its up to you i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom