What Is OpenGL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisharris

Baseband Member
I'm looking at a new video card to improve gaming. I currently have a GForce 4000 (yawn) with 128mb ram.

I'm looking at a GForce 6800GS with much improved specs. But, it says OpenGL 2.0

Whats that mean?

Google? DUH!! I already did that. :angry:

I did my homework before I just slapped up a new thread here. I'm not a kid. I'm a 34yr grown man. I also flame fellow members and have to have macdude fix it for me.

I tried searching here, google, and also read the info at opengl.org before I started this thread.

I don't understand it. It's all techno geek to me.

Was hoping someone would just tell it to me in laymens terms. It seams to me that it's just graphics software.

Would it be safe to assume that Open GL 2.0 is better than Open GL 1.5?

Don't let some of these people ruffle your feathers.......OpenGL (Open Graphics Library) is a specification defining a cross-language cross-platform API for writing applications that produce 3D computer graphics (and 2D computer graphics as well). The interface consists of over 250 different function calls which can be used to draw complex three-dimensional scenes from simple primitives. It is very popular in the video games industry where it competes with Direct3D on Microsoft Windows platforms. OpenGL is widely used in CAD, virtual reality, scientific visualization, information visualization and video game development. Simply, it is a 3D graphics rendering protocol that is not dependent on Microsoft Windows Directx or other proprietary software. It is open source code and can be used in most operating system platforms. Good question, by the way!! Hope that helps!

chrisharris said:
Google? DUH!! I already did that. :angry:

I did my homework before I just slapped up a new thread here. I'm not a kid. I'm a 34yr grown man. [SNIPPED]

Well apparantly, you are an idiot. I don't mean to be starting any kind of arguement, its just i recommended using Google and he attacks me for no apparant reason. Some people really underestimate the power of google.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q="What+is+open+GL"&btnG=Search&meta=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom