The Good, the Bad, and the AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
Is there any possibility of 7900GT coming out on AGP? and even if there is will my system limit it to lower performance?

Is this:

256MB EVGA 7800GS CO ,Mem 1300 MHz ,GPU 430 MHz ,16 Pipes, D-Sub , DVI-I , S-Video/TV Out

The last and best AGP card to be made or is there more to come?

youd be better off just buying a new mobo with pci e, after you seel your 7800gs if you intend to. might want to sell it before you wont get much i made a mistake like that. i misss agp it reminds me of the old days

jus so u know....
Agp's performance is only decreased on graphics cards 7800 and above... i think you should jus stick with 6800gs cause it can overclock to 16 pipelines, and its performance is pretty similar to the 7800gs

Hmmm, I had one of those, it died an artifact ridden smoking piece of charcole after a few months.

Anyway, I plan to keep this PC as my primary gaming machine for another 1-2 years so It seems to me to be a good idea to get the best graphics card I can.

Is there really so little difference between the 6800GS AGP and the 7800GS AGP?

jus so u know....
Agp's performance is only decreased on graphics cards 7800 and above... i think you should jus stick with 6800gs cause it can overclock to 16 pipelines, and its performance is pretty similar to the 7800gs
Exactly where did you get this information? I have the 7800GS and it ouperforms any other AGP card ive come across. The only other AGP that will be coming out is the 7600GS but obviously the 7800GS will be better. If you have or will be getting the 7800GS and have AGP then its your best bet over any 6800GS.

There is a difference but is not huge. AGP is gong bye bye because of limited bandwidth and the fact that the Bus protocol is very primitive relative to PCI express. The AGP video protocol will be around for another couple of years but it is going the way of ISA.

Example: 6800GT oc'd to 450/1150 in AGP 16 pipelines gave me a 3DMar05 score of 5120. Used on an intel prescott 3.0 and 2 gigs of DDR 400 in dual channel. A 6800 plain Jane with 12 pipelines OC'd to 425/816 on an AMD 3200+ Venice with 2 gigs of DDR 400 in dual channel and running in PCIe gave me a 3DMark05 score of 4980. The AGP card ran at 62 to 68 degrees centigrade because of the AGP voltage and bus requirements. The PCIe plain jane 6800 never rose above 42 degrees when overclocked!!! My new 7900gt is going to at least double my 6800 3DMark05 scores and the card only costs $320!!! :)

The PCI-E bus uses about the same bandwidth as AGP ATM. There is nothing out there really that uses the bandwidth of PCI-E yet so there is not really a difference between the two besides interfaces and voltage. Not to mention OCed as far as my 6800GT was i got a full load temp of 55c. Thats also flashed to ultra w/ more v-core on the GPU. Also between the two setups you named off there are alot of differences that make up on the system to bypass the speed of the 6800GT even w/ a 6800 like memory interface, processor speed on the AMD and all that. Not really a good way to compare.

Sorry PP but there are significant bus differences, bandwidth nothwithstanding (which, by the way you need to re-investigate becasue you are wrong!!) http://www.tcmagazine.info/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=127

PCIe bus protocols are significantly different, use lower voltages and have higher bandwidth and the bus processing is also different. The two systems I described above vary with the Northbridge chipsets and CPU's but they are, performance wise, somethat close given that the AMD will bench better than the intel but the big difference is PCIe architecutre!!!

PCie does not equal AGP!!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom