6800GS Overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synth7

In Runtime
I currently have an eVGA GeForce 6800GS AGP 256MB card (core clock 350Mhz), and nVidia Control Panel thing reports my temps at GPU core 57C and Ambient 37C. I assume those are safe values. It has 4 pipelines that are unlockable, but they aren't unlocked on it, I figured I'd try that later. I read the ForceWare tweakguide @ tweakguides.com, but it mentioned three or four different tweaks and alternate applications I could install for tweaking, and that's a lot to manage.

How far would you guys (knowing much more than me) think I could overclock this card safely (and with what program), with and without the 4 extra pipelines.

Oh, and here is a page with a lot of information about my card, in case it helps.

More: Earlier, I ran 3dMark06 and got a score of 2204 or so. Just now, I unlocked my pipelines, rebooted, and ran 3dMark06 again and got 2522 without artifacting, so I guess my unlock went ok. I'm still looking to overclock it a bit. Any help?

ya 57 is a fine temp. well if ur basing it on air cooling which i imagine u r then it depends... when u oc u have to tell if its handling it well. if the temp gets too high then stop and go back a bit. i would estimate it at 100 megs max. water or vapochill could get it much higher. but i have two fx5200's in seperate comps and one is running at stock and i have the other oc'd 100MHz. both r running within 5C of each other so its iffy when u do.

From what i seen on the net half of the 6800GS's don't overclock too well with the extra pipe's unlocked,I know on mine i used to be able to get around 425/1150 from my stock 370/1050 but after i unlocked my pipe's i can only get up to 400/1100,Anything over that is artifact city :(

So when I get home today I guess I'll up the core cock 5mhz or so, how much should I up the memory clock? Also, after I up the numbers and reboot, is there a quick and easy way to know if it went ok short of playing a game for a while or running 3dmark06? what do you guy recommend?

You can alway's get the new version of ati tool,It will let you scan for artifact's,Scan with that then play a game,If all's good crank her up a bit more then repeat :)

I knew atitool worked on nvidia cards but I didn't know it was safe to use for overclocking. or should I only use the artifact scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom