Fan constantly running

Status
Not open for further replies.

bring12345

Beta member
Hello all, I have a problem with a friends pc. The pc is a sony that had xp home on it. Now they messed around with the pc and was running terrible, so I took the pc, formatted the sucker and installed windows xp pro. Now the problem I have is that the fan is constantly running. The fan never did this with xp home. is their a setting somewhere I have over looked?

Thanks! :bald:

what fan are you talking about? i think what he means is that the case or cpu fan runs even if the computer is shut down....or maybe not.

sorry guys, I meant to say the loud noise is coming from the power pack.

When the pc is off, everything is off. no noise :)

When the xp home was the O/S, as soon as it booted into windows it would quiet down. Now with this xp pro o/s, the loud noise is constantly there. :eek:

This is a hardware issue. I'm not aware of any software that controls the sound of a Fan. It could be a couple of things. My first guess would be that it's just some dust that got inside the fan. This can make a really ugly noise when the fan is running. Perhaps when you were formatting and reinstalling something got in there. Take a can of air and blow out every fan and moving part you see (make sure the cover is off else you'll just be blowing it around and not out.). If this doesn't work it could be that the fan itself may be going bad. Swapping out a powersupply is not difficult or expensive, and it should take care of the noise (just make sure the noise is coming from the powersupply fan and not the processer fan or something else. Once again, I would recommend taking the cover off. You should be able to get a better idea of where it's coming from.

I figured out the problem. since I formatted the drive, I lost all the default sony software. and sony makes software to regulate the fan control. so downloaded the driver, executed it, rebooted, and alls good!

Thanks everyone!

good stuff!! Kind of sounds like the G5 and how it needs the specific software in OSX to make them run correctly...at least thats I what I recall someone saying in the mac forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom