Corrupted Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

raiden_nrl

In Runtime
Ok so I just reinstalled to a 32 bit windows xp.
So I goto install msn messenger and it gives me an error.
"extracing file failed. It is most likely cause by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or corrupted cabinet file".
The msn installer is a Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor. Also most of the programs I try to install do not work I get error messages much like that one.
So I was wondering, how would I repair this file?

Um, first off my previouse installation of windows worked perfectly so that would mean it is not something physical within my computer.
I have not overclocked and I have AMD Cool an quiet technology turned on, it says everything checks out fine.
I have 512+512 sets of memory.
Now back to the virtual memory, I went into my virtual memory settings and found that

.I have 150 Gb on my C: drive
.Initial size is set to 1.5 GB's
.Maximum size is 3 GB
I really don't think it has to do with my RAM, I have been able to install perograms such as Firefox and daemon tools just fine. This only happens with certain installer files.

EDIT:
I just tried to install ewido atnti-malware program and got the NSIS error from the installer.

raiden_nrl said:
Um, first off my previouse installation of windows worked perfectly so that would mean it is not something physical within my computer.
nope,that doesnt mean anything , its not unusual for a peice of hardware to work fine and then suddenly go south , check the ram with memtest86+ , bad ram is the most common reason for file curruptions

usually if it's a ram problem, taking one the ram out or setting the bios to the fail safe defaults will correct things (it will set the timings right).

are your ram sticks matching pairs?

K well if my ram decides to go bad within 5 minutes then i'd be surprised.
But I ran the test and everything is fine.
sfc /scannow found one problem but it didn't seem to be the installer. I am going to update my chipset on my mb.

Yes they match, when I bought the peices for my comp I bought x2 of the exact pair.

Well thanks for all the help, I got the newest drivers for my motherboard from Asus and everything works. It seems the disk with the drivers that came with the motherboard are defective, seeing as when I had 64bit windows I had to download those drivers form the site anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom