help with dual RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincentnsoa

Solid State Member
I have an ASUS P4S8X SiS 648 Motherboard with three 184-pin DIMM sockets (unbuffered Non-ECC DIMM). MB Supports PC2700/2100/1600 (Max. 3GB). At the moment I have 2 sticks of dual pc2700 512 Mushkin ram (bought in a dual pack), and one other 512 stick of unknown manufacturer. My questions is, How do I enable dual ram on the two mushkin stick, and do the paired sticks have the be the ones closest to the cpu. Any insight helps.

well in my asus mobo its colour co ordonated, i think for dual channel ya put the two identicle sticks in slots 1 and 3, then the other one where ever, thats all ya gotta do tho

They are all the same color, nothing to symbolize order. I have the one generic 512 in the first bay and the dual 512 in the second and 3rd bays... your saying I should switch the first and second cards to have my dual mushkins in bay 1 and 3?

and is there anything I have to set, software wise, to have it as dual?

i think for dual channel ya put the two identicle sticks in slots 1 and 3, then the other one where ever, thats all ya gotta do tho
If he puts in that third stick, say bye bye to dual channel.

There is nothing to set software wise dude, but you don't have dual channel with 3 sticks....listen to the name. "DUAL" channel, dual means 2 not 3.

If the third slot is further away from the other two then I believe you need to put it in slots 1 & 3 for you to obtain dual channel, but as I said you can only use 2 slots. If you want 1.5gb of RAM then youw ont have dual channel.

if all else fails, refer to the manual or ASUS website to find out which slots give dual channel.

Or you can open up CPU-Z and on the memory tab it'll say 'DUAL' if it's running in dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom