Not open for further replies.

problematic

Baseband Member
I have an Acer laptop, an Acer Aspire 1691WMLi, spec as follows;

Pentium M 1.6GHZ, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB
512MB DDR333 RAM
80GB HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon X700

I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM to 1024MB DDR333, will I notice an improvement in performance of my computer, or is it not worth it??

I would really appreciate help with this, as I do not want to upgrade my laptop if it will not significantly improve performance.

What are you doing on it? For general stuff it isn't worth it, but for gaming/photoshop/anything demanding than yes it is. You will need to check that it has an avaliable SO-DIMM slot though.

I use my comp for gaming yes. Photo editing a little, audio editing a little also.

I do a lot of word processing, which, I understand doesn't require a good spec comp, but I use my laptop a lot.

Basically, what I'm looking to do is to up the performance of my laptop, to be quicker, like my desktop which is P4 3.2hz, 512MB RAM, 200Gb HDD, and like my Moms laptop which is Pentium M 2.0GHz, 512MD DDR2, 80GB HDD.

How much of an improvement will i notice with things like games etc. Is there a point where the RAM can cope with more than the processor, so to say.

Would be really grateful for your help!!!

I've had some experience with this sort of thing myself. I run alot of high end games, (Earth 2160, SW Empire at War, SW Galaxies... etc.) and I've noticed RAM makes the most dirrenece when it comes to how smooth the game or program runs. With more RAM you'll be able to see more detail at a greater distance in games, or just reduce how choppy the game is in general. So Really it'd probably depend on the kind of games/programs you're running on your laptop. I mean if it's just Star Craft or something, I'd say not worth it, but if it's a game that's come out in the past few months or so, probably not a bad idea. Though Trifid is definately right in that you'll want to make sure you've got an available SO-DIMM slot for the extra RAM chip and I'd definately make sure you really can't live without the extra RAM before going out and getting some cause is a milasecond pause in a game or an extra 20 yards of detailed vision in an RPG really worth $50+. Just something to consider

is a milasecond pause in a game or an extra 20 yards of detailed vision in an RPG really worth $50+.

Its not like that though, the extra ram will provide more stability, because if there isn't enough ram then the hdd will be used and it is very slow and not really practicle for it in games. It is fine in windows though. I hade over 1gb of my page file used yesterday when in photoshop, and doing loads of other stuff in windows, with 1.3gb's of my ram used for where all the information the PC needs quickly, go. I still don't think it was extremly demanding though.

Over 2gb's will be a waste unless it is a server PC.

Windows XP likes to run with easily available 512 MB of RAM installed. I recommend adding a second 512MB chip to raise to to 1 GB, which you will notice speed gains from start-up to gaming. RAM is the cheapest effective way to squeeze more speed out of a computer...especially laptops since that's about all you can do to upgrade.

Also have a check at you RAM slots.

For most laptops, you only have 2 RAM slots. If u currently have 2x256 Mb RAM then probably you will have to purchase 2 other 512 sticks, not just one.

If it were me then i would go for it. Cheap upgrade, and you could get some of those from ebay at reasonable price.

Good point. I'm willing to bet it is 2 x 256. So you will have to buy 2 x 512's. It'll cost you a bit more than originally, but it's still worth the price.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Have checked my RAMl, and as most of you predicted, its 2x256 modules. I'm a lil miffed, cause I hoped it was one 512 modules.

The thing I'm amazed at, my laptop is Acer, and has good quality components, yet, they've gone the cheaper route by installing 2x256 modules, as opposed to a single 512 module.

My desktop on the other hand is an Advent computer, and is known for using cheaper components. My motherboard has space for four RAM modules, yet, Advent have only used one, putting a 512 module in it.

I really don't understand that, when they have the space to put 2x256 modules in, and still leave space for upgrade they don't , such as in my desktop, yet when they have minimal space, as in my laptop, they don't leave space for an upgrade.

It may just be me, but I thinks this is kinda backwards logic! :p

2 x 256 runs faster than 1 x 512 stick. Think of it like more surface area for the computer too look for stuff in. But yeah, it sucks having to pay that much extra for an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom