Strangest Static I've dealt with

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
Here's what happened:
I got up from my chair putting my boots on in the morning, and reached for the computer to boot it up. I feel a strong shock sent through my finger into the reset button (I accidentally reached for it instead of the power button).

Here's the symptoms:
It won't post. Nothing is happening as far as any kind of software starting. I turn it on and my cooling fans and my lights turn on. Like I said, there's nothing happening at all software-wise.

What did I fry? I have an idea of what the problem is, but I won't skew anyone's ideas by putting my idea out there.

Note: I also tried a bare-boot with nothing but my motherboard, processor, video card, and ram. I let it boot, and think it's not my video card. I turned up the volume to listen for the music windows plays when it loads. It didn't happen. I also tried booting it with no ram to see if it still did the same thing. It sure does.

Ryan

If the PC was plugged in the charge should have gone to the earth. I would go straight to assuming that it is the motherboard. Good thing it is still new so you can RMA it.

Check your house grounding, you can get testers for aorund 5$. Alot of rural area's (You sound like you may live in one) are not wired properly.

You cant boot a PC with out ram
no but generally if you take out the RAM then all of a sudden you start getting a beep code, that can indicate that the RAM is at fault.

I'd just take out your RAM, if it's silent, then put the RAM back in and take out the video card, if it beeps, then it could be the video card.....if not, well then, theres not a whole lot you can really do besides trying to swap parts. You can try doing it without the CPU and seeing if it gives you beeps, but if nothing happens through it all, then it's probably the mobo

Amd2800 said:
You cant boot a PC with out ram...it could be the PSU u shorted or MOBO get a new mobo

If booting == beeping, yes it can boot. You're not going anywhere without ram :p

Took all my parts to my friend's house. My processor, ram, and video card are in the clear, leaving nothing required for a bios boot. The motherboard is fried... I'll RMA it this week. Thanks for the thoughts.

Ryan

If the shock you experienced was strong enough to feel, you can rest assured that your body discharged well over 10,000 volts into your poor PC. Unfortunately, it only takes a 400 volt discharge to damage sensitive motherboard circuitry.

A static shock that puts a sting on your finger can be as high as 40,000 volts. OUCH!!!!

HAVOC2k5 said:
A static shock that puts a sting on your finger can be as high as 40,000 volts. OUCH!!!!

Wow never knew it was that much

Anyway if i would of posted once this was posted you would of had an answer, same thing happened to me, exept it was on my friends computer and he has really, really nice parents who just said "ahh it's alright, we can just get a new motherboard"

He ended up getting a whoile new PC, which sucks cause it's a pre built with intel integrated graphics, a celeron, and 512mb of RAM.
LOL he tried to play COD2 on it, other dumbass friend sad he could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom