Formatting an mp3 player with XP in FAT12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic

Baseband Member
I keep getting the message "Error! Reformat internal media using sigmatel reformatter!", which I believe was software that came with it, but I lost the cd.

If I format it in xp, selecting FAT, rather than FAT32, I get the message that 'Windows was unable to complete the format', or if I use the dos prompt, I get the message 'An unspecified error occurred'.

This only happens if I unselect 'quick format'. If I select quick format it says it formats it, but I get the same error message when I turn it on.

Any help?

Well i know there isnt a FAT12. There is a FAT16 and a FAT32. So if you truly using FAT12 there is one problem. That could be the biggest problem.

Also are you sure that the MP3 player can use the FAT file system. It might have to be NTFS.

Oops, yeah that probably hindered my ability to search for a solution too.

NTFS doesn't come up as an option when I select format...

Well then if you have the option to format with FAT32 i would go with that and see how it turns out.

Ok to help the confusion here. The drives have to be formatted fat12, not fat16 or fat32 and is why when you format in windows selecting fat it doesnÂ’t work since that is fat16. The memorex formatting program is doing fat12 if you read what it shows after a format. Sometimes I have to do the memorex format and then use disk manager in windows to format it while the sigmatel is open and then it works. It might have to do with windows needing to have device manager refreshed or something. IÂ’m a linux guy so it works to format it fat12 in linux because itÂ’s formatting can do **** near any filesystem and blocksize with it. IÂ’d be interested if a linux fat12 format would work on 1gb sd card as I donÂ’t have one to try.

I found this on another board - is there any truth to this or is he just wrong?

No he is correct. Windows does only use FAT16 or FAT32. So whenyou choose FAT it means FAT16 not FAT12 like you need. So you have to find another way to format it. Maybe thru the app with the MP3 player or thru Linux.

Dominic said:
NTFS doesn't come up as an option when I select format...
If NTFS doesn't show up, you are either attempting the format on an OS that doesn't support NTFS, or you're already formatted for NTFS.

On that note, you should go to the Internet site of the company who made the mp3 player and get the software. Chances are it is a free download. There's a chance that if you just tell WIndows to format the disk, it will destroy something important on the disk that the sigmatel software would put on it.

I'm using windows XP.

NTFS comes up as an option for format of a hard-drive, but not for this mp3 player - only FAT and FAT32. And I don't think it could be formatted for NTFS because I've formatted as FAT and FAT32 more than once now.

I've tried their website, but the product only shows up on the spanish version... I now have a feeling the answer may be here, but I don't know what it means

http://www.sunsiberica.com/soporte_new.php?listar_soporte=3_1&id_producto=31&referencia=DP-100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom