AMD vs. Intel - diff in speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that has got nothing to do with it. the K8 in the name of that motherboard only points out that it is for K8 processors.

so much pointless stuff comes up in threads like this.
apokalipse is right, the sempron p-rating compares to the p4 not the celeron and the L2 cache does not make much difference in that case.

the reason intel have higher clocked cpu's was a calculated marketing strategy based on exactly the mentality that gets people asking this question. people just can't understand how a processor with a lower clock speed can perform better. so when intel made the transition from p3-p4 they raped the well designed architecture of the pentium 3 to allow for higher clock speeds but at the cost of efficiency. the marketing strategy worked perfectly and is still working. in fact it took until the first p4 (willamette) reached about 1.7ghz i think before it outperformed the highest clocked p3's in all aspects of performance. i am hoping that intel have screwed themselves over by moving towards the lower clocked conroe because with all the money they have put into making people think clock speed is vital it is going to be hard to reverse that opinion

Frequency has nothing to do with performance.......
The way that amd compares to intel is in estimated performace, but it does not make sense anymore....or im confused at least....especially with multiple architectures and cores.....
Cyrix also uses this comparison.....

There is no such thing as amd64 by the way.
It was a marketing gimmick started by amd which is actually IA32EXT...
....or intel architecture 32 bit extended to 64 bits....it is not true 64 bit...or IA64....

Also, intel makes money off every sale amd makes because of IA.

L0 cache is, and always will be 32 bytes on IA.
When duplicating cores, you need to duplicate the L0.
L1,L2,L3 are always good to have, and have them as big as possible. Same thing with ram.......if you have enough...you can even partition ram as a ram drive and run games insanely fast off that......

The further you get from the processor, the slower your data transfer becomes......

IA was moved to risc cores.
Games compiled regularly, may seem faster on a IA32/ext from amd due to their investment in net burst.....
Games with SSE3 extensions..and other intel only extensions will seem faster on an intel machine....

In the end, Intel still wins over AMD and Cyrix in speed and efficiency.......because of the itanium 2 line.........
Only 1.4 ghz, and it can completely crush quad opterons.....or anything else amd or cyrix can throw at intel......they are not that expensive anymore......

And yet again...let me reiterate....there is no such thing as AMD architecture..........ITS ALL INTEL ARCHITECTURE.....with addons and extension which makes all intel based proc(Intel,AMD,Cyrix) crappy even with a risc core...since so much junk has accumulated and has to be backwards compatible.....
AMD may use different pipelining.....than intel...and different addons......but in the end....it still has to implement the intel architecture
Cache does make a difference !!!

that is a pretty well written post :amazed: thank you for proving to me that there is intelligent life on the Intel side of the fence. you failed to mention that the AMD64 instructions were subsequently cloned by Intel and renamed EMT64. i will not argue against the fact that we owe Intel a lot for the development they have done in the past but they have not made many technological leaps since the pentium 3.

nitestick said:
that has got nothing to do with it. the K8 in the name of that motherboard only points out that it is for K8 processors.

So, does this mean that I cannot use my new cpu? I have no idea what a K8 processor is exactly. As far as I know, a 754pin cpu should fall straight into a 754 socket.

i dont believe any topic to be pointless, stupid or whatever, a lot of people come here for answers - not because they are a natural born genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom