3 Stick of RAM disables dual channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
socket 754 doesn't support dual channel anyway. though I've heard that it often downclocks your memory if all 3 banks are filled, so it is best if you have a maximum of 2 sticks running on a s754 system.

Either it sounds like you are contracticting each other, or im misunderstanding
you're misunderstanding.

you said so yourself:

Can i have 2 different sets of dual channel ram will they both work on dual channel.
and I'm saying no. The way you worded it here makes it sound like you're under the impression you can have two pairs, each running in dual channel almost like saying dual channel times 2 or something.

No.

You can't put in 2x256 and then 2x512 and expect dual channel. Either by themself will give you dual channel, but not if all 4 are plugged in.

If it was 4x512mb then it'd run in dual channel assuming all sticks are the same and the mobo will support it. Some motherboards downclock the RAM if all 4 slots are filled up and they are double sided RAM modules.

You can't put in 2x256 and then 2x512 and expect dual channel.

I have run that set up on 2 motherboards (Abit AV8 3rd eye, and the ASUS A8N-SLI) both giving me dual channel.

I don't believe it's possible to have 1.5gb running in dual channel. I'd like to see proof of that.

Doesn't having a 64bit processor enable you to have around 8 gig of dual channel?

All I know is that 64 bit processors may help? Am I right, or is this incorrect?

Crazy. I honestly didn't think it would happen that way. I've seen some strange exceptions to the rule and all, but it just seemed like that wouldn't do it.

Thanks for the screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom