AMD vs. Intel - diff in speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. Maybe they don't know how. Maybe they just like them that way. Maybe they just want to say that theirs are faster by citing clock speed.

Because Intel has Dell (and now Apple), competition free. Dell has a pretty significant marketshare. Sure Intel has to compete against other pre-built companies, such as Alienware, HP and a few others, but they aren't as popular as Dell. Intel has also been around longer than AMD.

Also, many people make the stupid assumption that a Pentium 4 3.0ghz kills a 3200+ since the Pentium 4 nearly has 1ghz faster in it's "speed". Many people are uneducated and automatically assume they are faster. So you see, Intel's CPU make-up has to do with marketing too.

AMD is very popular among PC junkies, builders and gamers, but that's because we know enough about computers to understand AMD rapes Intel in most benchies.

However more people seem to becoming educated with computers and discovering Intel's CPU's honestly just suck compared to AMD, this is partly why AMD's marketshare has been, and will continue to go through the roof.

why did you dig up this old thread?

Brtnboarder495 said:
Because Intel has Dell (and now Apple), competition free. Dell has a pretty significant marketshare. Sure Intel has to compete against other pre-built companies, such as Alienware, HP and a few others, but they aren't as popular as Dell. Intel has also been around longer than AMD.

And AMD has been around 1 year short of Intel. They both originated in the late 1960's. 1968 and 1969 if I'm not mistaken.

Ryan

Heh, one year makes all the difference :)

Seriously, I thought that AMD came into the picture far after that. They didn't do a good job marketing then, because as a child, I always remember Intel adds, never AMD.

Why doesn't Intel make their chips more effecient?
Once again there is much more to Intel than simply the Pentium 4 that you are oh so familiar with...Dothans operate no higher than 2.2GHz I believe and are based on the same principles as AMD architecture, less pipeline stages

Clock frequency isn't an accurate measurement of power as one clock cycle simply refers to the completetion of one operation...however the number of instructions within that operation may vary based specifically on pipeline stages, and as you may have guessed, AMD performs more instructions per operation which is the true way of calculating a processors performance

I have an intel p4 2.8Ghz and an amd athlon 64 3500+ and everything else is the same in both pcs, but the amd athlon 64 3500+ seems alot faster for gaming.

originally posted by : Brtnboarder495
------------------------------------------------
Seriously, I thought that AMD came into the picture far after that. They didn't do a good job marketing then, because as a child, I always remember Intel adds, never AMD.

100 % so true :)

I dont know much on this subject, but as far as I see, when I go to my mates house ( he has a P4 3Ghz 512MB ram ) programs in windows eg : LIMEWIRE load a lot faster than on my machine ( AMD Sempron 2800+ @1.6Ghz 1GB ram ) ....

However, while playing a game his comp appears to stuggle more than mine.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
P-ratings? What're you talking about? Semprons are the exact same marketing stratagy as the Celeron. They kill half of the L2 cache. They're both crippled versions of the full processor.

Ryan
the cache doesn't make much of a difference on K8 processors. Intel CPU's rely a lot more on cache.

the Sempron 2800+ wont perform aswell as an Athlon 64 2800+
but there isn't much difference. not nearly the difference there is between a Pentium 4 and Celeron.

@ dreaming<>demon
the Pentium 4 would probabbly be performing better in apps like Limewire because of: the Hyperthreading, and a cache advantage.
turn HT off, and the Pentium 4 won't do nearly aswell.

however gaming is where the AMD's excel. the Sempron is great for gaming. but it just doesn't do well in multitasking.

apokalipse said:
the cache doesn't make much of a difference on K8 processors. Intel CPU's rely a lot more on cache.

ok, I just purchased a AMD athlon 3700+ 1MB L2 (754) ,

and I have a gigabyte K8VT800 mobo are you telling me that the 1MB cache is not making any/much difference ??

it does make a difference. but the difference isn't as much as it is on Intel processors

the amount of cache missing on the Sempron isn't enough to warrant a changed P-rating is what I'm saying. otherwise it would be 2760+ or something and it would get a bit messy

*edit*
also, i will point out that going from 512kb to 1MB L2 cache makes a bigger performance change than dropping to 256kb L2 cache

Yeah I understand that the larger the cache size the better right?

I just wanted to make sure if the mobo I am using is good for this CPU or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom