Is my CPU fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadubnano

Beta member
For a while now my backup computer (Dell Dimension 4500, Pentium 4) has been starting up with error “Processor fan not detected”. I left the machine on overnight as usual, and today its not working. It was not “on” when I woke, and the power button does not work to start the system.

I heard that Pentium 4 processors will shut down before it “over heats”. So, I need to figure out if this system is scap metal or if I can somehow bring it back online. I only need this system to operate for a couple weeks more before i plan to replace it. But i do need it working untill then. Is there anything I can do? Thanks :D

...adding to this... I opened the box and see a small green light on the motherboard. Maybe a sign of life? When an electrical breaker box trips, you must flip it off and on again. Is there a switch for a PC to do the same? Just trying to get this thing back on...

I heard P4 processors will shut down automatically before they overheat. So at this point I assume the system can be saved. Any opinions on that?

cpu's rarely gets fried , its the psu or mobo but more likely the psu , rma if you still got warranty otherwise buy a new psu from dell (they use proprietary parts)

turtile said:
It should be fine as long as it doesn't.
not necessarily

theres a way actually , its called "hotwiring"
basicly its a way to powerup the psu without the motherboard , disconnect the main 20pin atx connector and find out if its a standard atx layout or a dell atx layout
dell layout : http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=339053&rl=1
standard layout : http://pinouts.ru/data/atxpower_pinout.shtml
if your psu got a standard atx layout then put a wire between the pin with the green wire to one of the black ones , if a dell layout then put a wire between the gray to one of the blacks (before doing any of that have the on/off switch at the back of the psu to off or unplug from the wallsocket if it dont have that switch)

it could be that his cpu fan stoped working or came unplugged or something. try booting it with the case open and see what the cpu fan does

Does the PSU fan spin? if not then replace PSU. Otherwise troubleshoot CPU fan and bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom