Gaming Rig Plan + Motherboard Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

In Runtime
My plan for a gaming rig is really coming together, but I'm still trying to pick out a motherboard. I want a very stable and dependable Socket 939. I don't see myself using SLi in the near future, but I might take it into consideration. A firewire ports would be nice. I'v listed the rest of the parts I plan to order for you to critique as well.

• Mobo: Help, please.
  • PSU
    (A good PSU means less chance of horrible death for the rig.)
  • Case
    (Kind of hesitant on this one. No case has really caught my eye in a big way yet, anyways. Completely open to suggestions here. I'd like a silver one, personally. Gunmetal would be incredibly 1337, but there probably aren't any easily available.)
  • CPU
    (Planning to overclock to 2.2-2.4 Ghz. A new heatsink/fan combo would probably be necessary, so I could use some advice there.)
  • RAM
    (Second stick of this same stuff when I need/feel like an upgrade.)
  • HDD
    (Plus cables if mobo doesn't include any. Don't need anything fancy here, just a fair amount of space for games, movies and music. A part of me wants RAID 0+1, but then I realize how much time, effort and money that would take.)
  • Video Card
    (If anyone really thinks I should go with ATI, I'd be fine with an ATI card similar in price and performance.)
    OS: I'm going to get XP Pro, but I heard the X64 Edition has some driver issues so I don't know whether to get that one or the normal version.
  • Optical Drives: I don't need to burn DVDs right off the bat, so a DVD/CD-RW drive my family has sitting around will do.
  • Keyboard and Mouse: Meh. I'll pick something out when I acutally order the computer.
  • Monitor: Any 8ms LCD with DVI connection, perferably silver. Again, I'll pick this out closer to the actual time I order.

How's this look? Criticism accepted and encouraged!
EDIT: URLs fixed..?

What in the other place's bathroom happened? Oh, well. Time to fix things. Post will be better soon.
EDIT: Okay, the URLs are better now.

k your psu is decent, but i suggest the OCZ PowerStream, or a good Enermax PSU. Mobo i guess the DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D its a lil harder to mod it to SLi but you can still do it. for a case take a look at the TT TSunami, its pretty good. everything else looks good.

I don't particularly like the Tsunami or the idea of modding my mobo. How hard is it to turn a non-SLI board into one?

Ok this is wat you do, Get the DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D. and all you have to do to mod it is this. There are 2 lil....dots i guess you can call them.....on the chipset. You would need some acetone to rub the epoxy off of them. then rub them down with a dull pencil and BAM. you got SLi. For a detailed look go to DFI-Street
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10736

IT IS VERY SIMPLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom