Building A New Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXx-Tricky-xXx

In Runtime
Have to say, Im very glad I found this site and wish i had long ago when i built my first one.

My first computer i created was about 2-3 years ago. I didnt know a whole lot but I knew how to put together a pc and installing windows ect. Mainly the basics. The computer worked well for a year or two but it just got slower and slower and couldnt play much with the newer games out. I think I had went for the too cheap side of customizing a pc. So i decided its time to build a new one.

My old pc had a Asus delux (sorry cant remember the model, not SLI), an athlon xp 2500+, 2x256 dual channel XMS ram, Radeon 9600 XT 128mb Sapphire video card, and just a normal 80gig western digital hdd.

Now, however, it seems in the past few years technology has changed drastically and I have been stuck reading alot about the Dual core and SLI features and the big change in the video card industry.

The SLI feature, from what I understood, seemed like a good idea but for me seems too expensive for its effectiveness. It seemed to me id be better off with one card.

The dual core is still confusing me though, Im AMD all the way but I cant decide on dual core or normal. I mostly like to game but i like the idea of how it wont slow pc down if you have programs running on the background and virus scanning. But however, I could only afford most likely a 3800.

Basically I was thinking to the lines of this sort of setup.

2gb of ram, either OCZ or Corsair.

Asus motherboard, im not sure if I should use SLI even tho I wont have 2 video cards.

Either a dual core or normal athlon 64, dual core sounds good but i heard it slows gaming down a little and 3800 might be somewhat slow.

And it seems the Nvidia cards seem to favor alot, even tho I used a radeon (altho i hated my card it would do VPU recovery errors alot), the 7800GT or GTX(?). with a 256mb.

My budget is around 1000, preferbly under 1000 but I dont want to go too cheap like my last pc because it didnt last long. I was hoping this new build would last me more years than my last one. My last one lasted about 2-3 and it was a 600 dollar build. Cant even play UT2004 on it anymore.

Well anyway, I have been out of the loop for the past few years so I could use as much help as possible. It would be appriciated alot, and Ill be checking on this topic alot buying a new gaming pc means alot to me.

BTW: I can make a linked list of what I have looked at sofar and thought about if you want me to. There pretty much all at NewEgg as I bought all my stuff there last time too.

Post what you have been looking at, that way you get an individual PC and not having us quote our PC's.

I personally will go dual core, as I like the fact that when the games come out I will not have to upgrade (that is, if I had one.) and plus I was wishing I had one this morning when I was doing some (well alot more really) photo editting, and video work and uploading at the same time. That also took alot of memory but anyway.

I am not a fan of Corsair, but that is just my opinion on the company. I do how ever like OCZ. Defiantly 2gb's.

I have a 7800gt, excellent card, plays every game on high settings flawlessly.

Remember you will need a 24pin PSU for the motherboard.

Make sure your choice of PSU has atleast 26amps on the 12v (add the amps on dual 12v's up.)

Just to add, my friend plays Unreal on high settings with a MX2 GPU (thats been overclocked loads.) and a AMD 64 3200. Maybe all you need is a quick format?

yeah don't buy anything cheap. My last computer was $400 but when i was done upgrading it for my video games i spent $2,000 on the computer and yesterday everything fried. I don't know how cause i had 6 fans.

uh ya sry itll be a bit longer, 28k so slow tryign to reshop the items on newegg again. And CSS same thing happened to me, the 600 dollar one fried last week im on my moms pc. Took it in shop they cant figure out wut happened >.<. but everything was fried and before that it would always freeze if u bumped into it or lightly tapped it. :( They said it might of been a faulty hardware problem. Anyway it was about time i buy a new pc anyway. BF2 and all the new games today are hogs. :p

Also just thot id mention... im not faimiliar with PSU or power supply stuff. My last pc i used what was in the case already.

so u want to replace the mobo, video card, and cpu? and u have every other part right?

There is a guide on here with all the good ones, but as you are on a budget Fortron will be a good one. Stay away from ones already in the case unless the company is Antec, in which case you get a really nice case for free (excuse the pun.)

PSU again there Tricky, the PSU sent a surge to the components and it fried them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom