coencerned about my hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I have got two hard drives and my floppy drive sitting in the 3.5 inch bay. The yare a bit too close, a couple of hours back, i was checking them out, and i found that one of the drives was pretty warm.

The attached picture illustrates my concern; the top hard drive (160 gigs) is so close to the floppy drive( in the middle), there is some distance between the floppy drive and the second hard drive, which is right at the bottom.

is this safe?

Attachments

• 7th march.txt
    88 bytes · Views: 32
concerned about your hard drives eh??

are they smoking drugs and staying out all night? j/k

your config seems fine... and they will get warm, so i dont think you have anything to worry about.... its only when you can fry an egg on them you should start to worry... but in general they will give off a bit of heat!

If you have a 2 bay case,get a 4 bay one for more room and air circulation and get the new round ide cables.
Do you have a Temperature utility ? 90 f will feel pretty warm.
If you can't touch it then it's too hot.

rookie1010 you need to leave an empty bay right below each of your hard disks. the heat gets trapped and has nowhere to go so it just cooks the bottom of the hard disk and whatever is directly below it.

right now you are causing your hard disk to heat up causing shorter life because there is no ventilation below the hard disk. poor hard disk...its suffocating to death....:(

what kind of temperature utility are you guys talking about
i touched the drives, and they felt warm to the touch. yes, it is a bit cramped in there, my 5.25 inch bays are all free, i just got one cd wr sitting in there. i was thinking about sticking my 3.5 inch drive in there, but go no rails to enable me to do that.

i think my case sucks in general. i am also short of power cables now
my video card 5700 Ultra based one took the last one.

i was thinking about removing my floppy drive, i could stick it in when i wanted to use it. but floppies are still very much usable so decided against it.

what are these new round IDE cables that you guys spoke about?

ek, how short would the life of my hard drives get, if i left this config. on my old pc i had a similar conifguration, and they have been going for 2 years now. one of the drives, the bottom maxtor one has been scavended from my old machine.

This is the rounded type of IDE cable, it allows better airflow through the case. As for HD life with the temperature problem, unless they are hot to the touch, I wouldnÂ’t think it would make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom