Building my first high powered computer please comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornstar6969

Solid State Member
Hey guys, can you comment on these parts that I'm about to buy. Tell me if you think i should upgrade anything because of performance wise, or if you think i could go with something a bit cheaper because it really doesnt need to be as good as it is.

All prices are in AUD and are not the actual price im paying because im getting it at near cost price from a friend.

Also if you see a part i've listed that you have seen or heard that has problems, could you let me know.

At this stage im not sure on the monitor ill get, that will come later. If i have missed anything else that i'll need for this computer can you let me know.

thanks

The Case and Power supply

Product Details
Product Name: Antec TX1050B File Server Case -BLACK 500W PSU
Product Description:
Features:

Advanced cooling system that includes:
- 1 rear 120mm Tricool fan with 3-speed switch
- 2 front (optional) 80mm fans
- Chassis Air Guide with optional 92 mm intake fan to provide maximum CPU cooling
- Side Panel vent with optional 80mm fan to provide maximum cooling to the VGA card
Double hinge door design: allows the door to open up to 270º (TX1050B, TX1088AMG)
Antec's latest ATX12V v.2.0 power supply designs for full forward and backward compatibility with ATX form factors
SP-500 PSU includes Advanced Cable Management, use only the cables you need
Front ports: 2x USB 2.0, 1x IEEE 1394 (FireWire®, i.Link®), Audio In and Out Built-in washable air filter 1.0mm cold rolled steel for durability

Internet Price: $199.00

Picture of Case - I'm more after a good case then the look.
3762.jpg

Motherboard

Product Details
Product Name: Intel BLKD975XBXLKR i975XBX DDR2 Raid Sata2 1066FSB Glan PCI Ex16 P4 M
Product link: www.intel.com.au

Product Description:

Form Factor: ATX (12.00 inches by 9.60 inches [304.80 millimeters by 243.84 millimeters])
Processor:
- Support for Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition (in an LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus)
- Support for Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technologyâ€_ (in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus)
- Support for Intel® Pentium® D Processor (in an LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus)
- Support for Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technologyâ€_ (in an LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus)
Memory: Four 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
- Support for 667 and 533 MHz DDR2 DIMMs
- Support for up to 8 GB of system memory
- Support for ECC and non-ECC memory
Chipset: Intel® 975X Express Chipset
I/O Control: Legacy I/O controller for diskette drive, serial, parallel, and PS/2* ports
Audio: Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem
LAN: Support Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using the Intel® 82573E/82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Peripheral:
- Interfaces Eight USB 2.0 ports
- One serial port
- One parallel port
- Four Serial ATA interfaces with RAID support
- One parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support
- One diskette drive interface
- PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports
Expansion Capabilities:
- Two PCI Conventional bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to both PCI Conventional bus add-in card connectors)
- One Primary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x16 or x8) bus add-in card connector
- One Secondary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x8) bus add-in card connector
- One PCI Express* x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card connector

Internet Price: $359.00

CPU

Product Name: Intel Socket 775 Pentium D 830 3.0GHZ 800MHZ FSB Dual Core CPU
Manufactures: Intel
Weight(kg): 0
Product link:

Product Description:
Intel® Pentium® D Processor Features Features Benefits
Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep® Technology Enables cooler and quieter PC designs—depending on system implementation and usage. (Not available on 820.)
Execute Disable Bit° Can help to prevent some classes of viruses and worms that exploit buffer overrun vulnerabilities thus helping to improve the overall security of the system.
Intel® Extended Memory 64 TechnologyΦ Processors with Intel EM64T allow platforms to access larger amounts of memory and will support 64-bit extended operating systems.
Dual-Core Provides two execution cores in one physical processor allowing the platform to do more in less time while enjoying smooth interaction with your PC.

Internet Price: $390.00

ram/memory

Product Name: DDR2 TWIN2X1024A-6400 1GB(2x XMS2 512MB) Twin2X PC-6400 Corsair
Manufactures: Corsair

Product Description:

Corsair TWIN2X1024A-6400 1GB (2x XMS2 512MB) Twin2X PC-6400 DDR2 RAM, 2x64Mx64non-ECC, 240-pin DIMMs, Unbuffered, 5-5-5-12, 64Mx8 DRAMs, Heat Spreader, Lifetime warranty

Internet Price: $315.00

Video Card

Product Name: Gigabyte GV-NX66T256D GF6600GT 256M PCI-EX16TV-OUT/DVI
Manufactures: Gigabyte
Product link: www.gigabyte.com.au

Product Description:

Specification:

Product Description Gigabyte GV NX66T256D - graphics adapter - GF 6600 GT - 256 MB
Device Type Graphics adapter
Enclosure Type Plug-in card
Interface Type PCI Express
Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Core Clock Speed 500 MHz
RAMDAC Clock Speed 400 MHz
API Supported OpenGL 1.5, DirectX 9.0c
Video Memory Installed ( Max ) 256 MB - GDDR3 SDRAM

Internet Price: $305.00

sound card

Probably not. As it already has a good one built in.

If you think this system should have one, then state why.

Hard Drive

Product Details
Product Name: Seagate SATAII NCQ 500GB 7200RPM 16mb Cache
Manufactures: Seagate
Product link:

Product Description:
# Capacity: 500Gb
# Interface: SATA 3Gb/s NCQ
# Spindle Speed: 7200RPM
# Maximum External Transfer Rate: 300 Mbytes/s
# Cache: 16MB
# Warranty: 5 Years
# Weight: 0.58kg

Internet Price: $495.00

DVD BURNER

Product Name: Sony DRU810A INT 16X DVD +/- DVDRW DUAL LAYER with Blk F/Plate
Manufactures: Sony

Internet Price: $89.00

Keyboard and mouse (Example, I will choose one when I go to the shop)

Product Details
Product Name: Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5000 Bluetooth Laser
Manufactures: Logitech
Product link: www.logitech.com.au

Product Description:

Specifications

Device Type Mouse and Keyboard Combo
Connection Type Learn More Bluetooth
Tracking Method Laser
Buttons 5
Scrolling Capability Yes
Keyboard Type Bluetooth

Features

Experience a performance revolution with the rechargeable MX Laser mouse. With 20x the tracking power of standard optical, the MX Laser mouse delivers record-setting performance on virtually any surface.
Turn your PC into a Bluetooth Hub. Connecting the Bluetooth Mini-Receiver to your PC lets you do voice over IP with a headset, transfer pictures from a mobile phone, listen to music through Bluetooth headphones and much more.
Set it up quickly and easily. With Logitech’s new SecureConnect technology, your keyboard and mouse have been pre-paired to the wireless mini-receiver, providing a secure link with your computer so you can use everything right out of the box without hassle.
System Requirements

PC with Pentium processor or compatible
Windows XP (Home, Pro, Tablet or Media Center Edition)
USB port
CD-ROM drive

Total Internet price $2152 Should get this price quite a bit cheaper because im getting everything at near cost price.

Is there anything else that I should think about getting?

How well do you think this will run when its all put together?

Basically im after a really good computer that will be able to play any game really nicely and have a computer that will last for a while to come without it being outdated straight away.

Please comment on everything that you can, that would help.

thanks

well first thing i can say is, if the main purpose of this pc will be gaming you should scrap this setup. AMD is better for gaming.
Totally agree with that.

look at at least a 3200+ which should beat that pentium 4.
Since it was a dual-core CPU quoted in the OP, I'd recommend a dual-core CPU as well.

The lowest one by AMD is the 3800+ (which would take that Pentium's lunch and make it watch as it was eaten).

The Opeteron 165 is actually a lower GHz CPU, but usually costs a little more than the 3800+... but the 165 also has 2 x 1MB onboard cache, while the 3800+ has 2 x 512KB.

So, if your contact can get AMD's for you, I'd go with that. The price difference between the 830 and the 3800+ is only $26US.

yeah you should seriously not get that. Get a X2 3800+ or a Opteron 165 ( opty if your going to OC).

Mobo should be a DFI Lanparty either SLi-DR or ULtra-d

Ram is pretty good but you should get a dual channel 2GIG

Nice keyboard and mouse. if the mouse is rechargable is fine, but is the keyboard?

Case is alright i guess.

Okay thanks for the tips guys, I was from the start going to get AMD but this guy said AMD "overall" tend to overheat and have more problems.

If that is the case, should I get more cooling options, or is it really not a need with what im going to be getting. I may overclock it if i get AMD

Also the keyboard and mouse i stated is not the one i'm getting, i'll pick that out when I get there, and i'll choose one that has long life with recharable options etc.

John3 said "okay case I guess", should I get a different case that has better cooling options.
What case do you recommend? I heard that titanium is lighter and lets the heat out better, is that true.

Also just for some info, I'f I end up not gaming with this pc, would you still recommend AMD hands down then.

Thanks guys.

lol, who told u that? Intel heats higher than an AMD.

as for case go with this
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1010723&CatId=1520
If your american that prices is not right because its canadian. and if your Canadian that price is still not right because from CanadaComputers.com you can get it for like 100 Dollars.
This is a very good case, has a lot of room for upgrades and comes with 3 Fans. I dont think you would need more unless ur OCing in which case you might want to get 1 more aftermarket fan. no need for water cooling.

The AMD Dual cores are now better than Intel AT EVERYTHING. and its cheaper to, so if you still not gaming, definitely go with a X2 3800+ or a 4400+ or a 4600+ or even a 4800+ if you can afford it. lol.

the only "recent" AMD CPU's that heated up more than Intel's is the Athlon XP Barton.
the K8 series CPU's (Athlon 64, Opteron, socket 754 Sempron) usually run at a maximum of about 60 degrees, but usually around 30-45

anyway, I would recommend a system something like this:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ or Opteron 165

DFI NF4 Ultra-D motherboard

2 x 512MB G.Skill (with TCCD's) or 2 x 1GB OCZ Performance

Nvidia 7900 GT (preferrably eVGA or Leadtek)

OCZ Modstream 520W, Antec Truepower II 550W or Fortron 550W PSU

LG GSA-4167B 16X DVD burner
I have the 4163B model (earlier version), and it is great. not costly, but fast, quiet, and burns all media

hard drives:
2 x 250GB Segate SATA
then put them in a Raid 0
you will have the same storage, but it will be cheaper and faster.

Logitech G5 or G7 (wired or wireless) mouse
or the less expensive MX-510 mouse is still pretty good

u sure about the OCZ performance series? i hear its not that great. im personaly going with the OCZ Dual Channel Gold 2x1gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom